What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CPU Temperature Differences

silent1mezzo

Yesterday I built my latest rig and I installed the Vendetta II heat sink on my E6400. I've overclocked it to 2.4GHz (not a big step, but I haven't had time for it). When I'm checking my temps I'm seeing two different numbers for the CPU.

RealTemp is reporting 40C idle and 86C load
EasyTune6 (Gigabytes System tuner) is reporting 35C idle and 70C load

I was just wondering why there are inconsistencies? Which one is more correct? Are those temps too high?

cdn_Madrach

Yesterday I built my latest rig and I installed the Vendetta II heat sink on my E6400. I've overclocked it to 2.4GHz (not a big step, but I haven't had time for it). When I'm checking my temps I'm seeing two different numbers for the CPU.

RealTemp is reporting 40C idle and 86C load
EasyTune6 (Gigabytes System tuner) is reporting 35C idle and 70C load

I was just wondering why there are inconsistencies? Which one is more correct? Are those temps too high?
Usually the software that comes with mobo...Easy Tune or Asus Probe and the like are most often incorrect. Third party apps like Core Temp and Real Temp are usually considered more accurate. From what I've read the majority of users with this chip consider 60 to 65 the highest safe temperature for load. That said.... either Real Temp is giving you wrong readings or your Hsf is not mounted correctly or thermal paste is not applied well enough to give you a good heat transfer. Hope this helps.

Ps: Here is a link to how to get good coverage of thermal paste for this cooler.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

Last edited:

Safearus

EDIT: OH NOES! You ninja! :ph34r:

This may be a software related thing showing your temps. Some software (not sure on these) adds a slight bit to the temp to attempt and emulate the idea of having a slightly warm ambient tempurature. I would base your info from the first set of temps for this test so you don't overheat your CPU to death.
And I would also say that I do not like to see anything above 60C on load, but I'm just the kinda guy that hates hot things. Unless it's a hot woman. As in attractive. Back on topic:
How did you apply the TIM to this HSF? Are you using a fan or going for passive cooling?

If you're using the fan than I would seriously consider attempting a re-mount of the HSF IMO. Also make sure there is really good contact between the CPU and HSF. Not enough pressure to warp the board, but enough to hold it on nice and tight with as little space in between as possible.

silent1mezzo

I ordered and installed the back plate for the Vendetta II. Everything installed idle is 25-30C load is 50C

Much, much better.

shayan288

HOLY SMOKES!!! 1.44 vcore and your getting below 30C idle!? LOL! Whats your ambient temp? Heh, I have the vendetta 2 with my q9550 and my vcore is at 1.28 and im getting like 33C at idle and 55 at LOAD, lol.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter