What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

cpu upgrade

nasrott

Was thinking of upgrading my cpu have a 2600k or 2500k overclocked to 4.6. Was thinking of getting the 3770k or maybe the i5 3570k (if I can overclock the shit out of it). Any opinions welcome. (or should I just stick with what I have.) BF3 and blops2 is all I mainly play, on a water cooled 7970. Would either of these cpus give me an advantage over what I currently have now?

Bond007

IMO it's not worth upgrading. Usually 2500k/2600k overclock with better temps, and clock for clock in games you would only see single digit percent increases in games that are CPU limited.

mike_lewis89

If you were to go from a 2500k to a 3770k you wouldn't even notice it really in games. The CPU you have is more than enough to last until the next generation of CPUs comes out.

dandelioneater

I'd only move up to a 3770k if you needed the extra 4 threads and could find a 3770k for cheap. Otherwise it isn't really worth it for regular use.

Masteroderus

I've had the most success with crossfire with FPS games. If you want BF3 and blackops 2 to run faster, double up your video card.

nasrott

Thx Guys for the replies, ya seems with the added heat I hear the 3770 produce plus no real world benefit's its not worth the money then.

Doubling up this water cooled 7970 is pretty pricey, card, water block, new board, tubing and compression fittings, blops2 get almost 200 fps maxed, mayby will just get a new set of cans for x-mas instead

o320

That CPU upgrade won't make a noticeable difference if you're only gaming on your computer.

tyreman

Was thinking of upgrading my cpu have a 2600k or 2500k overclocked to 4.6. Was thinking of getting the 3770k or maybe the i5 3570k (if I can overclock the shit out of it). Any opinions welcome. (or should I just stick with what I have.) BF3 and blops2 is all I mainly play, on a water cooled 7970. Would either of these cpus give me an advantage over what I currently have now?

Doubtful you'll change much vs the dollars
I don't game. just play with components to see what they do at their worst, bestand surf
I know from personal experience a 2500k vs 3570k YMMV

Last edited: