What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CPU-Z reads different

Unklmo

ok, my question is how come when i load cpu-z it shows my memory with a max bandwidth "pc2-6400 (400Mhz)", and yet what i bought and paid for says "pc2-8500" on the packaging.
the part # shown in cpu-z appears to be correct as the pc2-8500's. so what gives?

sswilson

Staff member
It doesn't seem to happen as much as it did 6 months ago, but what you're seeing is what information is included in the SPD for the memory.

I ran into the same kind of problem with my supertalent memory, and a quick trip to the website assured me that the sticks they were selling as higher binned memory were tested (and I would assume guaranteed) to work at the higher speed, but that the spd would pick them up as lower binned chips.

sswilson

Staff member
Even better with the picture you provided....... :)

What it's reading is the fact that the chips are PC2 6400 which is normal even for high end ram. The settings you see below it for 533 speeds are what your motherboard should pick up to set it to DDR2 1066 speeds.

Ugly n Grey

If you're really interested, you can update the SPD on your reapers by visiting the OCZ support forums and downloading the SPD flash tool. It allows you to access their updated database of SPD's

G

If you're really interested, you can update the SPD on your reapers by visiting the OCZ support forums and downloading the SPD flash tool. It allows you to access their updated database of SPD's
+1
Did not know you could do that , thanks Ugly for the info!!
Not that I am about to run out and flash, but still nice to know:thumb:

enaberif

ok, my question is how come when i load cpu-z it shows my memory with a max bandwidth "pc2-6400 (400Mhz)", and yet what i bought and paid for says "pc2-8500" on the packaging.
the part # shown in cpu-z appears to be correct as the pc2-8500's. so what gives?

That speed tab is what you SHOULD be running your memory at IF you can.

Unklmo

Even better with the picture you provided....... :)

What it's reading is the fact that the chips are PC2 6400 which is normal even for high end ram. The settings you see below it for 533 speeds are what your motherboard should pick up to set it to DDR2 1066 speeds.

umm, ok.
not really sure what you mean by that SSWilson. i'm just concerned that i didn't get the ram that i paid for.:sad: (god i'm such a newb!)
so how do i go about increasing it, if i even need to.
withouy getting into overclocking my ram, is it running at where it should be, or not? i guess is my question.
thnx for the input guys :thumb:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
withouy getting into overclocking my ram, is it running at where it should be, or not? i guess is my question.
thnx for the input guys :thumb:
Show us the Memory tab of CPU-Z. It will tell us the speed and multi of the ram.

3oh6

first off, the SPD tab is what the memory is programmed as. it is perfectly normal to see PC2-6400 on PC2-8500 memory. JEDEC only has standards for up to PC2-6400 so that is what manufacturers should list in that window at the top. below is the SPD column of the actual profile which is what your memory is spec'd to run. take a look at a few SPD tabs of recent kits i have worked with:

Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800...listed as PC3-8500:
spd-2.png

Corsair Dominator PC3-14400...listed as PC3-10700:
spd-1.png

all the DDR2 kits from PC2-8500 up to PC2-9600 are also listed as PC2-6400, see my Buffalo Firestix for the screenshots there. it is completely normal and you didn't get 'ripped off'.

now, to find out what your memory is actually running at so we can see if you are fully utilizing it, you need to look at the Memory tab of CPU-Z, not the SPD tab. HTH

Latest posts