What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Crossfire 290's causing GPU 1 to overheat.

BabylonDown

I have two XFX DD GPU's. One 290 and one 290X. When I run them individually they stay around 70 degrees. When I crossfire them the top card exceeds 90 degrees at 100% fan speed. I even added a rubber spacer to help separate the cards from each other, which provided about a 1/2" or so of clearance.

This is in a modded Core 1000 with no side panels on and a gentle typhoon 120mm fan blowing air directly at them via the front panel. Do I have any options here?

Bond007

yes there are options...no they aren't cheap. Crossfire/SLI with slots right next to each other is always going to cause issues for the top card. Other than what you have done the only options I can think of are buy a motherboard that has more space between the slots, or watercool....as I said, neither is a cheap option.

D

Dark Knight

yes there are options...no they aren't cheap. Crossfire/SLI with slots right next to each other is always going to cause issues for the top card. Other than what you have done the only options I can think of are buy a motherboard that has more space between the slots, or watercool....as I said, neither is a cheap option.

That's what I would have also suggested. The problem is that with the R9 290X and 290 video cards is that they run extremely hot under load and when you pair them in Crossfire they run just as hot as previous generations including the space-heater 4870 X2.

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

What motherboard do you have by chance? Depending on the board you probably can space it out more, especially if it has three/four way crossfire support.

Otherwise? There is other solutions like liquid cooling. NZXT have a slap-on liquid cooler system that works good but the VRM is only passively cooled by a fan so I dunno what that could mean for the reliability of your GPUs if you overclocked those 290s.

choosy

Most sli /crossfire configurations are better with blower type cards since it just ejects the hotair, though whatever wall your computer back is pointing to will get very warm and probably crack over a few months due to dry conditions lol. best not to place the back of the case against a wall or anything of the sort. On the other hand it is an excellent way to warm up a winter room / works as a handwarmer!

So possibly you could try to find 1 blower type and then xFire that with 1 of the DD's

sf101

The side panel for that case has a 120mm fan slot .
I would put a fan in that slot and try running it with the side panel on.
May also want to find a 97mm for the rear if you can but with both front 120mm and side 120mm blowing into the case the air should naturally flow out the back of that 97mm hole anyways.

Direct Air hitting the GPU slots will solve the issue , whats likely going on here is the 2nd card is radiating heat into the 1st cards airflow.

I should add , Once you have some air flow over the cards , I would setup a proper fan profile for them via Afterburner.

Your GPU's fans may not be throttling up properly to keep them under 70*C in a warmer environment.

Luke S

Since they're not blower style coolers there's likely a lot of heat building up around the cards. Placing a 120MM fan in your case aimed directly at the two cards (or mounted on the side panel if you can) would help dissipate the heat and made a huge difference. Or just try increasing the overall airflow to your case with higher RPM fans.

Latest posts