What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Crossfire Usage Help!

BoiledFrogs

So I have a few questions/issues with crossfire and I was hoping someone could clear them up for me.

First off, I was wondering if my i5-4670k at 4.4ghz will bottleneck two 280x's? As of right now I have a 280x and a 7970(standard version) crossfired, but I plan on replacing the 7970 in the next few days. On some games like Crysis 3 and BF4, the usage can be pretty low at times, Crysis can dip down to 50FPS and the usage on both cards will be between 50-60%, but in the high 90s if I'm just staring at a wall.

I was also wondering if the two different cards could be causing issues. The 7970 is voltage locked and at lower clock speeds than my 280x(ASUS OC), but I have the 280x downclocked to match the 7970 at the moment.

I've done a few things like setting the power limit to +20 in afterburner, changed a few settings around in radeon pro, but overall it seems kind of random or that I'm bottlenecked. In Bioshock Infinite both GPUs stay in the 90s, same goes for any benchmark software, which I know are very GPU dependent, unlike a lot of modern games.

Last thing I forgot to throw in, this is at 1920x1080, so I know the cards are slight overall for that, but I like to have a lot of things turned up and have high framerates, so it seemed alright to me, especially with the low prices of 280x's on ebay.

So yeah, any help or input is appreciated!

Coach

I was wondering if my i5-4670k at 4.4ghz will bottleneck two 280x's?
nope.
EDIT: at 1080P the i5-4670k at 4.4ghz may bottleneck a little but only the max FPS IMHO.
As of right now I have a 280x and a 7970(standard version) crossfired, but I plan on replacing the 7970 in the next few days.... I was also wondering if the two different cards could be causing issues. The 7970 is voltage locked and at lower clock speeds than my 280x(ASUS OC), but I have the 280x downclocked to match the 7970 at the moment.
Replaceing the 7970 with a 280x will only make a very small difference

BoiledFrogs

nope.
EDIT: at 1080P the i5-4670k at 4.4ghz may bottleneck a little but only the max FPS IMHO.
Replaceing the 7970 with a 280x will only make a very small difference
Thanks for the reply, that's good to hear. I know it won't be a huge difference, but it's voltage locked and not even a ghz edition, so if I get a 280x that can overclock well it'll be a nice boost. I'm going to sell my card for around $150 to someone, so it'll work out pretty well.

Looks like it's just poorly optimized games giving me shit, like Crysis 3. The physics on the grass are apparently a CPU killer.

Coach

I have tried 280x crossfire and I was not impressed. I went back to single GPU setups.

Masteroderus

I don't think an i5 "K" will bottleneck you at all if you're just running a single game without streaming. Just look at the various HWC charts.

In short it is my opinion that switching to an i7 or an enthusiast series platform will have a smaller effect on your frames than switching to more powerful video cards. The i7 is awesome if you're like me and always running background applications while you game, or like to stream.

I would always recommend to non crazy people to use a single video card. Crossfire causes weird stuff to happen and it can be trying to get some games to run right with crossfire, but it's always possible with support from the HWC community :canadianwave:

BoiledFrogs

I don't think an i5 "K" will bottleneck you at all if you're just running a single game without streaming. Just look at the various HWC charts.

In short it is my opinion that switching to an i7 or an enthusiast series platform will have a smaller effect on your frames than switching to more powerful video cards. The i7 is awesome if you're like me and always running background applications while you game, or like to stream.

I would always recommend to non crazy people to use a single video card. Crossfire causes weird stuff to happen and it can be trying to get some games to run right with crossfire, but it's always possible with support from the HWC community :canadianwave:
Thanks for the input. And honestly, I haven't had anything weird happen really, just lower than expected usage in some games. But it seems like they're just overly CPU dependent. Games like Tomb Raider and Infinite have been perfect with scaling.

Latest posts

Twitter