What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Crucial M4 128GB SSD - master boot record frequently becoming corrupt

schmutz06

I built my new system last week:

CPU: i7 2600K
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 1333mhz (16GB)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 ti (SLI)
Mobo: Asrock z68 extreme 4
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB

experiencing the following problem:

Computer restarts -> launches into startup repair -> startup repair fails -> cannot boot into operating system (stuck in an infinite startup repair loop)

Solution:

Enter command prompt in the recovery environment and use:

bootrec /fixmbr

= enables me to boot into my operating system again

My problem:

The "mbr" data is frequently becoming corrupt and stopping me from being able to boot into my OS until I rebuild it. In addition, all events that take place during the power cycle beforehand are lost next time I am able to boot into the OS. This means any programs installed/adjustments to firefox favourites or profile settings in applications are seemingly being reset to an older state.

Does this sound like an SSD issue? From extensive research I am yet to find any solid evidence on what can cause this problem. It has been suggested that the motherboard/RAM/PSU can also cause data corruption. I would like to narrow it down to either the motherboard or the SSD as I have already tested the RAM and PSU in a stable system. I can isolate between the SSD and mobo by installing Windows to another HDD and seeing if the problem still exists.

Sadly, I do not know how to replicate the problem. It has occured five times while I was not at the computer/computer was idle. This is frustrating because I have been using the computer for 90% of the time it has been on, but I am yet to actually see it restart-->go into startup repair. For this reason I am reluctant to test between the motherboard and SSD as it could take a long time to replicate the problem.

1) Do you think I have enough evidence to suggest the SSD is the culprit?

2) Has anyone else experienced similar issues before with regards to data loss/mbr corruption?

3) Anything else I should look into? Viruses/bad drivers/BIOS?

4) For reference, I have tried formatting/reinstalling windows to no avail and the disk I am using to install Windows 7 works fine on other machines

Last edited:

schmutz06

To eliminate the Crucial M4 128GB SSD from the equation I have installed my OS on a spare 1TB HDD.

If I do not continue to experience the symptoms:

I can be sure that my Crucial M4 SSD arrived faulty

If I continue to experience the symptoms:

I will assume my motherboard is faulty

_dangtx_

Banned
or the cable,or your overclock or the motherboard header.

yes,possible :)

schmutz06

a faulty cable can cause all this trouble? It seems unlikely since it operates fine 99% of the time it is running. Would a faulty cable not cause turbulence/problems on a more frequent basis?

I would like to report the mbr data has not been corrupted/no random restarts today. As I said I am using a spare 1TB SATAII HDD. The SSD installation would have most likely failed by now and I'd have had to repair corrupt mbr data. This evidence further supports that the SSD is the culprit (or the cable, Intel SATA3 controller on my mobo)

schmutz06

UPDATE: the Crucial M4 128GB SSD drive has been confirmed faulty and I am getting a replacement. I searched the web high and low for more cases and didn't find anything I was actually convinced these SSD's were invincible. I lost a week testing different hard drives/SATA cables/ports when it was the SSD all along. In hindsight I think it was naive to rule out the SSD as the culprit. Especially given the nature of my problems and the way flash memory works.

schmutz06

SSDs are not invincible and your yet another reason I will not buy one.

after a week of searching the web all over the Crucial M4's are clearly reliable SSDs. I hardly found a single case of another faulty M4. The performance gains are incredible and well worth it if you use your computer for important multimedia work I just got a dud :(

AkG

SSDs are not invincible and your yet another reason I will not buy one.

Yes as we know how "invincible" HDDS are! Hell I cant think of even one case of a good old hard drive dieing soon after being installed. / roll eyes

SSDs like any computer part are a mass produced item. There is going to be bad ones in any bunch. Justify it on not worth it from a GB / $ pov. Justify it as they are too small. etc etc

BUT unless you use an abacus instead of calculator and your "hard drive" is punch cards (in triplicate for safety's sake!)..or better yet stone tablets... then saying that a bad M4 is why you wont buy a SSD yet is fallacious. :whistle:

Latest posts