What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill PN BM-16PCC Microswitch failure

sswilson

Staff member
Took a fit and decided to tear apart my broken burr grinder on the off chance I might be able to find the issue that was preventing it from running and actually managed to find the culprit. :)

Cuisinart front microswitch.jpg

I had always assumed it was one of the two microswitches (hopper in place, ground container in place) that had failed but didn't hold out much hope that I'd be able to get to them in order to repair/replace/remove the part. As it turns out, 4 screws (under rubber feet) on the bottom revealed this microswitch and the paddle wasn't making good contact with the "cup" when it was inserted.

Cuisinart front microswitch zap strapped.jpg

Had a look to see if there was any way I could improve the contact, but ultimately decided that any adjustments I made wouldn't have lasted long so I ended up just zap strapping the switch closed. You can see the plastic "blob" at the top.... that's how the switch was held in place so there really wasn't any way to adjust it. Had to move it over onto just a single pin to hold it in place, but it's secure and everything seems to be working as advertised.

1 hr + 1 zap strap saved me $150 - $230 on a new grinder. banana

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... intended to drop this into the happy thread as a post, but also wanted to have a title on the off chance anybody does a search trying to find a fix for this particular grinder.... ended up as a separate thread.... ah well, it'll move down the list soon enough. :)

Cannon Fodder

What are we talkin' about here..... a coffee grinder? :unsure:

In any case, would we be safe in assuming you Googled for the part? I'd think you SHOULD be able to find it somewhere. Wonder if a place like DigiKey would have such an item.....

KaptCrunch

Note: made in China 50 cycles there, that how named it burr for shift of pole phase to 60 Hz

seem$ a design flaw on switch, so replacing it would be waste of time. new switch 5 amp $4.00 ssBurr.jpg

then tweak lever to activate proper also add a
Ceramic

10 µF 370VAC cap, neutral line on a phased wall plug (wide blade)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
It's fixed. Because of the design there'd be no possibility of a new part resolving the issue (the microswitch is fine, it's the way it's mounted that's failed over time so you'd have to replace the whole assembly) thus the solution was to permanently close the switch with a zap strap (I could also have cut the wires and spliced them together taking the switch out of the cct completely).

The only downside is that it'll run without the ground coffee receptacle installed which would make one hell of a mess.... :)

edit: this is the unit itself for reference...

I posted this up mainly on the off chance that somebody does a google search on how to fix one of these when it breaks. Judging by review complaints I suspect this is a very common issue with this particular model.

TLDR: If you own one of these grinders and it just stops working out of the blue, take the bottom off and check the paddle on the switch I posted a pic of and close it/remove it from the cct if the paddle doesn't appear to be making contact with the tab on the ground coffee container.

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

ss_CG.jpg

make a cross roller Note are not made as depicked

can cut and solder a roller on lever for the ramp style can solder a paddle on angle

or get fancy an use a reed switch with a magnet

Last edited: