What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Custom Android ROM - I need your help

Bond007

Please help me along here for anyone who is familiar with doing this process. It seems a little more complicated on my Lenovo TAB 3 8 Plus than some others.

I have found this, which "walks" you through what to do, but I lack all familiarity with the terms and don't want to brick my daughters tablet.

I am happy with this ROM and want to go for it. It is the process to get there I need guidance on.

1. I have downloaded the latest ROM, and "special twrp" for this device from the above.

2. It says that IOT install TWRP I have to follow this guide using QFIL.

3. Profit? lol

4. I all honesty I start feeling a bit confused from that point.

I have downloaded the QPST flash tool and qualcomm USB drop that the second link advises. The steps in the second link seem clear, but it mentions "SuperSU"...what is that? From what I gather I would follow the steps in the second link just to get TWRP installed, and then go back to the main (first link) to continue with updating the ROM. At which point I am a bit lost again, since it mentions things like installing a custom ROM or mod like MAgisk (no idea what that is or if it is anything to do with my wants. "It still cant be loaded by fastboot, but you always can flash it from TWRP. You can get boot.sig in my repo". Is that required if using the ROM provided, or only talking more generic.

I am unfortunately android stupid...someone please help guide me through steps to follow. I think all the info is in the OP of those 2 threads, it just isn't clear to me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

lowfat

Staff member
TWRP is a bootloader. A custom bootloader is required for any ROMs. To install a rom you need to have an unlocked bootloader. If your device has an unlocked bootloader, generally you put the device in to fastboot mode. This allows you to flash partitions. Then you'd connect to pc via USB. Then flash with ADB tools or similar. After you've flashed the bootloader, you can then boot to the bootloader and apply a ROM from there.

Majisk and SuperSU are for adding root access to the rom. These would be applied after you install the rom, generally via TWRP. Use Magisk not SuperSU.

djbrad

lowfat is right. Before flashing a new rom with TWRP, take a full backup in case you want to go back (can be done from the TWRP menu).

Bond007

TWRP is a bootloader. A custom bootloader is required for any ROMs. To install a rom you need to have an unlocked bootloader. If your device has an unlocked bootloader, generally you put the device in to fastboot mode. This allows you to flash partitions. Then you'd connect to pc via USB. Then flash with ADB tools or similar. After you've flashed the bootloader, you can then boot to the bootloader and apply a ROM from there.

Majisk and SuperSU are for adding root access to the rom. These would be applied after you install the rom, generally via TWRP. Use Magisk not SuperSU.
Thanks. That answers a few things for me. So are majisk /supersu required to have the custom rom work?

Also, could you decrypt the overall meaning of the last few short paras in the first link? The way I read it sounds like there are steps that are different on this tablet due to something about fastboot not working as normal, or not being unlocked. It talks about how to work around this and make it work, but I no understand it... not sure I have ever felt so useless with OS type stuff.

djbrad

I did not know how to explain Supersu correctly, so here's the best answer I found and understood :

SuperSU's an app that manages other apps' root access.

If you use a custom rom without a root manager, that allows root access to every app that wants it, without any notifications or warnings.

Cannon Fodder

It talks about how to work around this and make it work, but I no understand it... not sure I have ever felt so useless with OS type stuff.

I would suggest you do as much reading as possible. I know what you mean about feeling "useless"..... I've loaded 2 or 3 different 3rd party ROMs on my wife's old cell phone(Samsung Galaxy Ace), just to tinker around with the process, to see how it works, and what, if any, advantages are gained by using a different ROM. At first, A LOT of the info provided on the XDA forums is a bit hard to follow, AND there are LOTS of ROMs for various devices, and LOTS of sometimes conflicting information/opinions. That, and there are other sources for such stuff too, and you MIGHT even find a Youtube video or two on your particular device.

The one thing that really stood out for me, is that lots of phones have different variants for different areas of the world, and you can apparently completely brick your device by flashing the incorrect ROM. I don't know if different variants is a "thing", as it pertains to tablets, but I strongly suggest you MAKE SURE you have the correct ROM before you flash the device.

Good luck! (y) Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts