What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

D975XBX2 can't boot after FSB increase

francois methot

It happen before because I did a big jump for OC the FSB frequency...I had a second mobo and change it.

Then, I was running fine and stable on the second mobo at FSB 333MHz with 667 MHz memory.
I decide to try 2 stick of 800 MHz memory. I had in mind to slowly increase the FSB to 400 MHz and match the new memory.
Reset back all OC to stock and start increasing the FSB by step of 5 MHz starting at 266 MHz.
:doh:
Suddenlly, the computer did not boot, no post.
I try a very long reset, remove the battery. I try to boot with floppy to recovery the bios, but cannot load the floppy!!!

Is it dead?
Can I ship my first mobo somewhere to fix that problem?

sswilson

Staff member
Any beeps or indications at all?

Seems strange that it would just quit without letting you reset c-mos......

Are there two resets by any chance, and you're using the wrong one? (My board has a "hard" c-mos reset, and a "return to last known good post" reset, you want the "hard" one).

A floppy boot for bios flash won't do you any good if it won't post at all. (do you have an internal floppy or a USB one? ).

Unfortunately, I can't get on it tonight, but tomorrow morning I'll write up a quick and dirty step by step guide to attempting to bring back a dead board so don't give up just yet.

(If all else fails.... you can always order a new bios chip or get your old one reflashed).

francois methot

...working!

There is a 3 pin header comfiguration jumper.

Normal
Password Recovery
Recovery

...I never tried the Password Recovery::clap: So I try this configuration.

I was able to go inti BIOS with this position...put everything back to stock a reboot :thumb: .

I am OK now.

Thank you

sswilson

Staff member
I haven't forgotten the bios recovery guide I promised (you don't need it, but others might be able to use it). It's just taking a little longer to put together than I thought it would.

I should have it done before the end of the weekend.

Forge

Good news francois methot, you got that working again :thumb: and that guide sound like a good thing sswilson, I'll be looking forward to reading it.

Twitter