What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DDR4 released by Corsair

KaptCrunch

DDR4_LP_1200_081314.jpg

FreeKnight

The latency on all the DDR4 sticks seems really high. At this point is there any real benefit of a 2400-3000 speed ram anyway? I could maybe see the increased memory capacity being useful for people who run RAM disks or maybe hardcore coders/programmers and video editors, but I'm not sure I see what the big benefit of DDR4 is.

ShinraCorp

The latency on all the DDR4 sticks seems really high. At this point is there any real benefit of a 2400-3000 speed ram anyway? I could maybe see the increased memory capacity being useful for people who run RAM disks or maybe hardcore coders/programmers and video editors, but I'm not sure I see what the big benefit of DDR4 is.

I guess we'll have to wait and see the benchmarks. I hope that it's a huge improvement to justify my upgrade from my i5 750 system :p

sswilson

Staff member

Yeah.. CAS of 15 on 2133 sticks is much higher than similar DDR3 sets. The graphic doesn't do the new tech any favours on the performance side either... the benefits it's touting seem to be strictly based off of rated speed gains with the only real benefits being on the power and capacity end.

Mena

It's the same story all over again. I remember when DDR3 came out.....same thing, cas levels high and such.

And a savings of .2 volts..........yawn!!

Best to wait this one out.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The latency issue is always present with every generation of memory. I remember getting my Team DDR modules running at 3-3-3-10 while the best I can get out of my current DDR3 sticks is 5-5-5-17 1T.

It all comes down to band width and DDR4 offers that up in spades.

I've got the LPX 32GB and 16GB kits right here in front of me and so far they're performing beyond expectations.

Shadowmeph

The latency issue is always present with every generation of memory. I remember getting my Team DDR modules running at 3-3-3-10 while the best I can get out of my current DDR3 sticks is 5-5-5-17 1T.

It all comes down to band width and DDR4 offers that up in spades.

I've got the LPX 32GB and 16GB kits right here in front of me and so far they're performing beyond expectations.
man that must be nice being able to get new products to test :)

So this would mean that with new ram upgrading is needed for both AMD and Intel Motherboard and CPUs , ugg just when I was getting comfortable with this system :haha: