What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DDR5 - best performing/performance per $

Bond007

I have purchased a couple DDR5 kits for other people without issue based on common sense of the advertised freq/timings/cost. That said, I haven't really looked into the DDR5 situation for what kits (or which companies chips on the sticks) are offering the best ability to OC or tighten timings.

If being more specific is required, I suspect I will be looking for 2x16GB and 6000mhz (doesn't matter if its advertised to that speed or tweaked) with the tightest timings possible, and within a reasonable price point. It would be nice if the kit is expected to be able to OC higher for potential future use cases.

- Is anyone swept up on DDR5 to give some general guidance on if certain kits are the standout preference, or is it luck of the draw?

- I suspect this is likely heavily dependent on the actual memory chips. Are you able to do a quick coles-notes of these for DDR5?

- Anyone have or know of a compiled list of DDR5 kits/memory chips and what are preferred ones as a quick reference?

Lysrin

One more clarifying point, are you looking for AMD or Intel use? I think that can still impact the choice these days.

Or maybe I am a sucker to the many marketing texts I've seen saying "AMD optimized" or "Intel optimized" on RAM listings.

Bond007

One more clarifying point, are you looking for AMD or Intel use? I think that can still impact the choice these days.

Or maybe I am a sucker to the many marketing texts I've seen saying "AMD optimized" or "Intel optimized" on RAM listings.
Expecting AMD...but I don't believe that will matter for how well the ram could perform, only that it may be limited by the MOB/IMC. But I am more than happy to be corrected if some kits do better with intel vs AMD.

You make a valid point on marketing. While I know exactly what XMP/EXPO are, do the EXPO rated kits actually make a difference for AMD setups vs just using XMP?

Lysrin

You make a valid point on marketing. While I know exactly what XMP/EXPO are, do the EXPO rated kits actually make a difference for AMD setups vs just using XMP?
I did read an article on the weekend that stated AMD is slowly moving to not using their own memory settings and adopting XMP. I didn't try to verify that with other research however.

Izerous

Folding Team
I know the sweet spot for AMD was somewhere around 3866 to keep the 1:1 ratio on DDR4 but I'm not sure what that sweet spot is supposed to be for DDR5. I'd start there and start looking at ram kits that are right aroud that 1:1 point or right above it so you can downclock it from it's max and have the headroom to tweak things.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
AM5 doesnt require 1:1:1 timings any more, and can run out of sync on the Fabric interconnect.

This still means means the memory controller and ram speed have to be the same. I believe that 'supported' speed is 6000mhz, which would mean 3000mhz controller due to 'double' data rate.

This also means that anything over 6000mhz DDR5 is going to overclock the memory controller, which as we saw on AM4 is VERY hit and more-likely-a-miss.

Based on my AM4 experience, I would stick to 6000mhz and the lowest latency you can afford to buy because the latency will make a difference, but not a drastic one.

I did read an article on the weekend that stated AMD is slowly moving to not using their own memory settings and adopting XMP. I didn't try to verify that with other research however.
XMP is a closed platform and intel wont let people play in their playground.

AMD released 'EXPO', which is an open source 'XMP' equivalent.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
- Is anyone swept up on DDR5 to give some general guidance on if certain kits are the standout preference, or is it luck of the draw?

- I suspect this is likely heavily dependent on the actual memory chips. Are you able to do a quick coles-notes of these for DDR5?

- Anyone have or know of a compiled list of DDR5 kits/memory chips and what are preferred ones as a quick reference?
DDR4 and DDR5 are fundamentally the same, there isnt any new/differences on them for overclocking stuff, voltages, main timings and subtimings are all the same things to tweak.

There are generally 3 dies on the market for DDR5 currently;

Samsung B-Die (not the same chips as the legendary DDR4 dies, just the same name.)
Micron A-Die
Hynix M-Die

Generally the Hynix is the best performing/overclockable on the market, but as always, YMMV. The spread between it and the Sammy is really small comparatively though, so much so that I wouldnt worry about 'finding' any one of the three.

If you MUST get the best, then get a Hynix kit.

Bond007

There are generally 3 dies on the market for DDR5 currently;

Samsung B-Die (not the same chips as the legendary DDR4 dies, just the same name.)
Micron A-Die
Hynix M-Die

Generally the Hynix is the best performing/overclockable on the market, but as always, YMMV. The spread between it and the Sammy is really small comparatively though, so much so that I wouldnt worry about 'finding' any one of the three.
That is exactly the type of info I was after. Its good to know the difference isn't huge, and no it doesn't have to be the best...but not the worst would be nice :ROFLMAO:

Anyone aware of any lists or guidance to find out which kits contain B or M?

Lysrin

*snip*

XMP is a closed platform and intel wont let people play in their playground.

AMD released 'EXPO', which is an open source 'XMP' equivalent.
This was the article I saw, but never heard of this site so certainly could be an incorrect statement.

The quote, in the para about EOCP and DOCP:

"Since XMP is an Intel technology and AMD is a direct competitor, it makes sense that AMD and its partners would want to avoid paying for the license to such technology.

So making an alternative that works with the same on-memory information that XMP does seems clear cut. But at the time of writing, these are starting to fade out.

More specifically, these technologies are steadily being phased out in favor of AMD motherboards just adopting XMP."

So I'm guessing we say the bolded line isn't true? 🤷‍♂️

Reading more about it, I'd suggest that line is at the very least poorly worded.

Latest posts