What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dead HDD.....

Sushi Warrior

My Maxtor Diamondmax 21 200GB IDE drive just kicked the bucket randomly. I took my PC apart to clean it and was running it open bench when it started on "fire" when I turned the PC on. A little component on the logic board was red hot, and it let out some white powder of some sort. It goes without saying the drive doesn't work anymore. What I want to know is....

A. Can I just replace the logic board? Or do you think it also resulted in a head crash?
B. What was the component that died exactly? (name? eg. capacitor, resistor...)
C. Anyone got a spare drive of the same, STM3200820A firmware 3.AAE
D. If it is toast, how do I go about data recovery? It's still in warranty but AFAIK they don't cover data recovery.

Here's a pic of the little bastard.

Damn you, damn you!!!! I was just about to back up the day before but after seeing it would take over 30 DVD's and I don't have any other HDD's I never have bothered. The only mission critical data on there are some pics, and some of my games would be nice.... I don't want to have to DL a lot all over again and I have also lost some of my game boxes, disks and keys.... anyone have any ideas?

Sushi Warrior

It was placed logic-board side down, so it was protected from any wandering molex cables. I figure it may have something to do with the fact I forgot to plug it in at first then restarted the PC shortly after I plugged it in.

MarkOne

Banned
it can be an overload short motor , especially when starting, changing the board will not solve the problem... if I was you I will shop for an other drive and take it as a lesson BACKUP next time no excuse.

Sushi Warrior

I think I'll try to get another logic board (it should be $50 or so, nothing compared to a $500-2000 repair). Failing that, I may consider sending it somewhere.... does insurance cover anything like that?

MarkOne

Banned
what do you means by that

" I took my PC apart to clean it and was running it open bench when it started on "fire" when I turned the PC on. "

so the hard drive and other pc parts was laying on a bench ?

Sushi Warrior

It was on a table with a glass top. On a much, much, much, much happier note I have been told it was a TVS that broke, a fuse of sorts. All I need to do is find out what type of TVS it is (I have to clean it off and use a magnifying glass) and then order one and solder it on. Yay! That's a super easy, and really, really, really cheap fix! My day is saved.

MarkOne

Banned
so you was ready to claim the insurance company because of your own mistake... a TVS is a surge protector... 2 things may have happen
1- you hot plug the drive
2- you create a electrostatic discharge.. a HD on glass table ? do you know that a computer case is your best protection....

Latest posts

Twitter