What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dead old pc

Chris

My old pc went dead and won't reboot. Put in an old seldom used cpu, still no boot. Check the CMOS battery, and it is almost dead at .01 v. Remove cmos battery from another desktop (which measures at less than 1 v). Put it in the old pc, but still no boot. So, what could be my trouble?

Chris

The power supply is a Corsair TX750 and is pretty new. So I do not think it is the problem. I'll get a new cmos battery and see it will work. BTW, the cpu is spinning, so does the case fans.

Coach

correct me if I am wrong but a mobo will boot without a battery it just won't save any of the bios settings when you power down.

jalmir

The power supply is a Corsair TX750 and is pretty new. So I do not think it is the problem. I'll get a new cmos battery and see it will work. BTW, the cpu is spinning, so does the case fans.

That's different from "no boot", did you try a different GPU? Also, like Phill said, you can try without the CMOS battery before buying a new one. Also a new PSU doesn't mean it's not defective, I would still try another PSU.

Shadowmeph

all the above also I remember when I blew out my Motherboard took me a few days to figure that one out ,all the fans turned, then I had a same problem with a different system all fans worked but the cpu was gone

Chris

Will the memory modules cause no boot? I have 2 sticks, removed one and used one at a time, still no boot. I used to have 3 sticks, but one burned out. Maybe these 2 are burned as well. If they are burnt, will it boot?