What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Decent Pinball pack that isn't FX3? (Ultimately ended up with FX3)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I think the cabs are currently $400 USDish. Canada computers has a few of them, and they're mostly south of 600 CAD.

The pinball one might be a bit more expensive. Probably a bigger screen required.

sswilson

Staff member

Well, Nancy......... ;)

sswilson

Staff member
Head's up for anybody considering Pinball FX3.....

There is a "cabinet" option that allows for playing in portrait mode (full table graphics instead of the standard landscape mode which is similar to what you see when they show a portrait aspect cell phone video on TV) that also allows for multiple monitors to be used (more for if you're going to install it in an actual cabinet), but cabinet mode is apparently only available on the steam version... the MS store and stand-alone versions don't support it.

It's not supported by default, you have to send an email to get the unlock code, and there's a good chance they're going to ask for a picture of where you're planning on using it to ensure that you're not a commercial outfit who should be applying for a commercial license. (I sent a picture of my PC).

sswilson

Staff member
Haven't been using my man cave all that much for the last little while... somebody really needs to do some dusting.... :)

Full PC.jpg

Full setup for an idea of scale....

Full Table.jpg

Full table including legs (displays prior to ball being launched)

Playing Surface.jpg

Legs and front panel disapear once the ball is launched to give a full playing surface view. If you're getting fancy and you've got an extra monitor above this one you can move the dot matrix display on to that to get it out of the way.

Pretty cool game play with the monitor oriented in Portrait... well worth the hassle of moving stuff out of the way to do it.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Samsung Monitor.jpg

I had a 27" 1080p Samsung kicking around so I mounted it on an arm that can be swung out for playing pinball on. I can tilt it more so that it feels/looks more like a flat pinball playing surface. Unfortunately it's not only a TN, it's also curved so it's not ideal for viewing on an angle... 1080P is fine for this, but ideally I should keep my eyes out for a 27" IPS for better viewing angles. (There was a staples lenovo on RFD I'll have to check it out).

Samsung Monitor Tucked away.jpg

Using the arm lets me tuck the monitor out of the way when I'm not using it.... :)

Now I just have to wait for my arcade kit to arrive so that I can start printing off the pinball controller. :)

edit: Ordered..... :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Got my controller built. Start, back, flippers, and L/R "nudge" mapped and working as advertised, but the only controller mapping options are based off of an xbox controller so I have to muddle through Steam's generic controller config and then try to match my buttons + single joystick up to what the software is expecting.

Pretty cool though..... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Poor man's pinball cabinet....... ;)

completed pinball machine.jpg

Still not completely happy with the button mapping (I also removed the joystick as it wasn't doing anything useful and was a distraction in front of the playfield), but it plays and "feels" like a proper pinball machine. I mapped the l/r "nudge" to the red buttons (flippers are on the side obviously), the front/center button as "launch/start", and a button on the rear as "b" which backs out. (Haven't figured out how to map the "escape" and "movement" keys although I'm wondering if the d-pad settings in steam might map properly for the arrow keys).

Really happy with how this turned out.... :)

(Image cross-posted to the printer thread).

sswilson

Staff member
I think I've finally got the key mapping done to my satisfaction. I put the joystick back on as I found it would function for moving around the menus once it's configured properly (It's also impossible to properly remap the buttons in the steam client without a joystick). Pretty sure I've got every feature mapped to the point where I don't need to use the keyboard.

Now I've got to track down all of the backglass images. There's a really good github link that covers the great majority of the williams/bally tables as well as most of the Zen ones, but it's still not complete so I'll have to keep digging.

Oh, and there's always this.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Completed controller with a pic of the final full setup. (And I promise not to spam any more of these pics.... :) ).

Full Controller-9737.jpg

Joystick body-9739.jpg

Button Body-9732.jpg

full machine-.jpg

edit: I posted a link to the controller design in another thread, but on the off chance somebody sees this thread and is interested in making one themselves here's the link....

Last edited:

Latest posts