What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Defective RTX 3070 and now computer won't start?

draemn

^^^ As Mr wilson pointed out....if it fails to work properly in your machine....find somewhere (friend or local PC shop) you can test it....if it works fine in another set up but not yours the only thing I could think of would be clean install windows (its a reach though).....look more closely at your PSU.
Maybe you missed the part where I used two different power supplies to test this card and both of them work properly with the other 3070.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
What's the wattage of the PSUs are they above 800watts each. Seen a few vids where these cards spike in use and can trip a PSUs built in protections.

But don't get why the odd behavior could try a different system but unless something is burnt on the GPU or mobo I can't see why it's acting like this. Should just work.

sswilson

Staff member
One of the ideas behind trying it on a PC from a completely different household is to to eliminate unique software issues that might be causing the issue (as referenced earlier WRT possible issues with manufacturer specific software/registry entries messing with the gigabyte card).

On the positive side, if it does seem to work fine on other PCs you shouldn't have any problem selling it for something close to MSRP.

rjbarker

Maybe you missed the part where I used two different power supplies to test this card and both of them work properly with the other 3070.

One of the ideas behind trying it on a PC from a completely different household is to to eliminate unique software issues that might be causing the issue (as referenced earlier WRT possible issues with manufacturer specific software/registry entries messing with the gigabyte card).

On the positive side, if it does seem to work fine on other PCs you shouldn't have any problem selling it for something close to MSRP.

^^^^ Exactly!!! Eliminating other HW or SW issues.....looking deeper than just PSU's.
Troubleshooting is all about trial and error with other "known working" components etc etc .
I actually have enough components here on a bench its pretty easy for me to troubleshoot parts ...an open bench system makes it really easy ;)

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Haha RJ I call that bench my eBay verification system 🤣 it's caught more then 1 fake GPU and faulty HDD already.

draemn

Thoughts on doing a new windows install to see if that fixes it? Is there any easy way to re-install windows without having to re-install all programs?

danmitch1

Can always try in an elevated CMD prompt

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

restart
then

sfc /scannow

not much help if the pc wont start eh..

draemn

Can always try in an elevated CMD prompt

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

restart
then

sfc /scannow

not much help if the pc wont start eh..
I solved no boot issue, it was the riser cable for the sound card causing the no boot issue (probably because the sound card can't "lock" into a full sized PCIe slot).

What's that command all supposed to do?

Vittra

It's a command to check the integrity of the OS against the recovery partition (if you have it) and repair any system files that may have been corrupt.

I think earlier in the thread you suggested BIOS flashing. If you are comfortable doing that sort of thing, then take a backup of your current BIOS, then grab the identical same BIOS for your specific model off a place like Techpowerup while also getting another BIOS from a competing brand that is similar TDP (Perhaps check the EVGA base XC model and Asus TUF). Try the identical model BIOS first, if no different you could try a competing brand BIOS.

Remember that if you screw up a BIOS flash you can recover, but you need to have an iGPU or secondary card you can plug in on standby for that. Technically a card with dual BIOS here can save you too, but I think the Eagle lacks that over the Gaming OC.

draemn

So, I tried the returned GPU in a 2nd computer and exact same problem, just took a an hour or two to show up and after that it only took minutes to happen after each reboot. Maybe something to do with how cold the card was from being outside for shipping?

So yeah, I'm really pissed at gigabyte for claiming they couldn't replicate the problem. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find the same problem when I've replicated it many times and even in a completely different computer. I phoned their RMA service # and they told me they couldn't do anything for me and I should call tech support. Got transferred and decided (after a 15 minute wait) to use the "call back" feature which said I would get a call back between 2-4pm. Go figure, no return call... 3 days later, still no return call.

Latest posts

Twitter