What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Defective RTX 3070 and now computer won't start?

draemn

Final update, I just got a new (swap) gigabyte 3070 after my 2nd RMA. It took a lot of work on my end, but I was able to get them to accept a 2nd RMA and replace my card instead of returning it "with no problems found." This time, I typed up a list of everything I could about the problem, printed it off and included it in the box. It took about 7 weeks including return shipping for the 2nd RMA.

sswilson

Staff member
So you have a working gpu in hand now?

Any time I've ever done an RMA/Return I've always included a note listing all of the tests I've done and the results I'm seeing. At the very least for RMA it gives them a reference point to start at, and an indication that it's not just a user issue.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
I'll have to include this in future RMA then I'll make a template for this as I done alot of that for work and SOP docs.

Cannon Fodder

Final update, I just got a new (swap) gigabyte 3070 after my 2nd RMA. It took a lot of work on my end, but I was able to get them to accept a 2nd RMA and replace my card instead of returning it "with no problems found." This time, I typed up a list of everything I could about the problem, printed it off and included it in the box. It took about 7 weeks including return shipping for the 2nd RMA.

So you have a working gpu in hand now?

Any time I've ever done an RMA/Return I've always included a note listing all of the tests I've done and the results I'm seeing. At the very least for RMA it gives them a reference point to start at, and an indication that it's not just a user issue.

Yes draemn, please do let us know the status of the new card.

And yeah, I 2nd that M.O. of adding notes for various RMA'd hardware..... for that matter, IIRC, Asus used to require something like that(haven't done a RMA for quite a while). :unsure:

sswilson

Staff member
Yes draemn, please do let us know the status of the new card.

And yeah, I 2nd that M.O. of adding notes for various RMA'd hardware..... for that matter, IIRC, Asus used to require something like that(haven't done a RMA for quite a while). :unsure:

I believe some kind of documentation of the fault and testing you've done is pretty standard for most RMA processes, but I like to include a physical note with the product as I'm never sure that the RMA depot/contractor sees the initial RMA paperwork with a clear indication of what the issue is.

draemn

Yes, I have a properly working 3070 from gigabyte now. Different SN on the stickers and documentation said "swap."

In the RMA process, they were not very good at communication and never suggested anything about including a printed document of the problem.... seems rather dumb they don't (a) looking up your file where you've already explained the problem (b) reach out to the customer to clarify before finalizing/returning. Either way, I just wanted to be 100% sure this time they actually were able to replicate the problem instead of just saying "we tested it and no issue;" so I provided as much information as I could for recreating the issue and that the card might need to run for +5h after shipping.

I'm happy I have a fixed card and they paid shipping for the 2nd RMA, but that's about the only thing I'm happy with this customer service experience.

Latest posts