What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

delete master boot registry ? (SOLVED)

Jim

need to remove and add master boot registry (hard drive obviously) due to rootkit infection,prevents antivirus from updating or scanning,ran a malware removal tool 1 infection "fixed" AV still no go,is there a way to do this from within win7 as drive is installed as a secondary?

drive was given to me,ether way I want to wipe it completely for security reasons

googled first,not getting down the right path,not much in the forum

thanks

used this https://partedmagic.com/

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

yes if the computer has AV on it and up to date, just install it as a secondary and scan the whole drive

wanting data ? or just format the drive if no data needed

ZZLEE

If you don't need anything on the drive.

Format LINUX on the drive
Update Drivers from drive web site.
Format to windows

should be good

Edit: IF you have a marvel stata 6 controller PM me ( not fore open forums but works like a charm )

Whats the drive we are working on?

Last edited:

Jim

If you don't need anything on the drive.

Format LINUX on the drive
Update Drivers from drive web site.
Format to windows

should be good

Edit: IF you have a marvel stata 6 controller PM me ( not fore open forums but works like a charm )

Whats the drive we are working on?
https://partedmagic.com/used this from a thumb drive,it's a complete distro with great disk tools,got me what I wanted,however using the Gparted tool I couldn't figure out how consolidate the two partitions into one,working on that still just to learn something new.And it has easy one click MBR removal which is nice.

Last edited:

Chris

https://partedmagic.com/used this from a thumb drive,it's a complete distro with great disk tools,got me what I wanted,however using the Gparted tool I couldn't figure out how consolidate the two partitions into one,working on that still just to learn something new.And it has easy one click MBR removal which is nice.
I use gparted all the time (my main os is debian). To consolidate 2 partitions, you have to delete one and expand the one the is left. The expansion will take a few minutes, but it will work. I have used it on win8 to change 2 partition to 1 single partition.

Jim

I use gparted all the time (my main os is debian). To consolidate 2 partitions, you have to delete one and expand the one the is left. The expansion will take a few minutes, but it will work. I have used it on win8 to change 2 partition to 1 single partition.
um yea works just as advertised,more of a dumb operator problem than anything,how ever still shows an unallocated space approx 5% less than the total size of the drive,hmm...

Last edited: