What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

deleting a partition

cmac79

i asked before but never got a str8 answer so i'll try again... im reformatting an old pc a dimension 8200. when i get to the part to delete the old partition and hit d to delete it says cannot delete partition cause it has files needed for setup. i reformatted loads and loads of pcs and have never had this problem before. how can i delete the partition so i can install a fresh copy of windows...... this is a bit of a rush rush cause i need to have this done by tomorrow...plz help

cmac79

acually no i don't have it...it just installed ontop of the old windows now there 2 on the one partition. it won't let me press f8 at start up to start from cd. now the pc has a cd/rom and a dvd/rom in it thats not hooked up cause the power supply the guy put in it was not really ment for the dimension so the one free chord that is left will not reach it, so he bought an external. could that be why its not booting from the xp cd on start up?

yamawho

You are having a bad day I gather ...

It depends what you are comfortable in doing.
Don't have another system to work from ?
If you do then put the hdd in that one and boot from the other.
Then go right click on my computer, select manage, disk management and then delete the partitions on that hdd.

If you don't have a 2nd system to work from, then download a linux distro like ubuntu or linux mint and use the hdd tools within. This distro's will run as a live cd and not install to the hdd. Depending on the apps offered there is gparted, qparted etc ...

yamawho

I just realized ... are you trying to reinstall from a restore cd from Dell or do you want to do a fresh install from a xp cd ?

If you delete the restore partition, you will NOT be able to reinstall windows using the restore cd.

cmac79

im using windows xp pro sp2 disc.....and i do have a second system here to work with,and i also have a dell windows xp home disc for dimensions somewhere

cmac79

thanx for the info yamawho i popped the hdd in my other pc booted from the other etc and it worked perfect. got the pc all reformatted and runnin in tip top shape...thanx alot

Latest posts