What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell G3 budget gaming Laptop?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm still looking to spend a little bit of my recent temp work mad money on some kind of new shiny stuff, and had been looking at the lenovo Legion laptops when they go on sale for around $1200, but just saw a post for a Dell G3 on sale at the microsoft store....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/d...thnj2tttgfc/3c02?activetab=pivot:techspecstab

Now I know the build quality of the legion is going to be one tier higher, the SSHD is basically a door stop unless I pick up an NVMe boot drive, and every review on this thing suggests that the panel isn't it's best quality, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that a similarly spec'd legion with a 1050 (non ti) would be worth an extra $450.....

Am I missing something critical here? I very much doubt I'd be moving up to the $1500+ tier which would put me into 1060 territory.....

What do you folks think?

edit: I'll have to keep looking, but one review has suggested that the M.2 slot is only SATA which isn't a biggy, but suggests that I'd be just as well off to pick up a 1TB Sata drive if the 500GB drive I have on hand isn't enough....

edit2: Nope, appears to be an NVMe enabled M.2 port https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/del...-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... speaking of crickets..... ;)

Well.... I had a look at one of these in BB and while the screen wasn't the brightest in the world, I never run my laptops at max brightness anyways so I doubt it will be an issue. The rest of the fit/finish seemed fine to me considering the price, and I've got a 500GB Sata SSD I can drop into it for the moment.

There's nothing I've seen that even comes close to this price ($750 in case anybody's interested but didn't click through) and the ones that are close to this have a 1050 vice 1050ti.

Considering I put a good portion of my Mad Money towards a new washer this will get me a poor(er) man's version of what I had originally been looking at, but at a significantly lower price.

Ordered!!! w/ expected delivery date in the new year. Total All-in was $861.35.

Bond007

Nice. Let us know how it is after you play with it. As I said in the hot deals thread, if they shaved the bezels and weight down a bit I would probably go for it.

sswilson

Staff member
Nice. Let us know how it is after you play with it. As I said in the hot deals thread, if they shaved the bezels and weight down a bit I would probably go for it.

The bezels are probably the only thing that really stands out on the size/weight front. They're certainly not an ultra-lite, but on the flip side they bear no resemblance to the gaming behemoths of yore.......

Latest posts