What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Dell G5 5000 series Desktop Cooling Mod (including a 3D Printed Rear adapter)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Have you explored the new HWC review?

Cheap, and 92mm so it should fit the bill...

Edit: and now I see you just posted on the review page. :ROFLMAO:

sswilson

Staff member
Screenshot 2021-05-17 performance 1 offest adjusted.png

I'm making progress on the temp front.... I can get the CPU fan running at a more appropriate RPM by using the "offset" settings in the alienware controller software and the fact that the load freq at lower temps are the same as they were at the higher temps suggests that the processor wasn't throttling at the higher temps I had earlier.

I also ran some looping 1440p 3DMark w/ 10 CPU threads loaded in order to get a more realistic gaming scenario which provided temps well within normal ranges for both the CPU and GPU.

One annoyance is that the alienware software ramps up fine when presented with a load, but doesn't appear to want to ramp back down once the load is removed.... you have to go to the home page and select a different profile which lowers the fan RPMs to normal levels and then you can select your preferred profile.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not going to tear everything down to test, but I strongly suspect that using this rear 120mm fan mod + the lower 80mm fan (if it fits) would provide adequate cooling while still allowing the HDD caddy to remain in place. The 80mm would provide enough airflow for the vid card, and the 120mm would probably be enough to draw air through the gaps in front of the HDD caddy.

maddawg

Nice mods, I picked up a i7 G5 with the RTX3060. Debating if I should keep it after all the negative reviews.

sswilson

Staff member
If it's running well for you, why dump it because somebody had a bad billing experience and then went on a rant about a proprietary system having proprietary parts in it? :)

Temps might need some tweaking, but if you're experiencing any kind of issues while gaming you can go into the alienware control center, set it to performance mode, and bump the CPU fan offset up so that it's running higher than 60% under full load.

maddawg

If it's running well for you, why dump it because somebody had a bad billing experience and then went on a rant about a proprietary system having proprietary parts in it? :)

Temps might need some tweaking, but if you're experiencing any kind of issues while gaming you can go into the alienware control center, set it to performance mode, and bump the CPU fan offset up so that it's running higher than 60% under full load.
Received it yesterday and did not even set it up. Will probably do it tonight and see what happens. Hopefully, dell sends through my $100 refund and rakuten rebate.

sswilson

Staff member
Redid the GFX card's memory thermal pads (I used the thermalright pads from Amazon).

The existing pads (there at least were some... ;) ) measured out @ 2mm so I doubled up the 1mm I had ordered which got me a 10C drop (down to 78C from 88C). Not as large of an improvement as Sagath got, but enough of a change in that range to bring it from questionable load temps down to something that still feels a bit high, but it a lot more comfortable.

I think there's more room for improvement if I can come up with an extra .25mm.... I had initially just added 1mm to the existing pads which got me some crazy low temps on the memory (40s) but the GPU wasn't making good contact so temps on it were way too high, and looked to be continuing to climb. :) That's when I switched to using just 2mm worth of the new stuff I'd ordered which brought the memory temps back up to 78C. I strongly suspect a slight bump in pad height would put me in a sweet spot between memory and gpu temps.

sswilson

Staff member
Adding a Bequiet Slim 2:

As per other online suggestions, it's possible to replace the stock heatsink. Not absolutely necessary since the temps I showed above aren't absolutely horrible, but certainly can't hurt. That said... there's a height limitation so we're stuck using either LP downdraft coolers or tower coolers w/ 92mm fans. The one I've seen mentioned most often as an "almost" drop-in replacement was the CM Hyper T2, but I'd also been eying the original Bequiet Slim so it was pretty much destined to be when I saw reviews coming out for ver 2.

The only thing to keep in mind when sourcing a cooler for this is that you can't install an aftermarket backplate without major modifications (the existing one is part of the case side? ) so it needs to be a cooler that has mounting similar to what you'd see on a WC block with the appropriate arms with holes that will accept an M3 screw.

Bequiet Box.jpg

Bequiet unboxed.jpg

bequiet intel mount.jpg

On the left in the second image is what you're looking for in mounting hardware.... basically arms that attach to the heatsink with holes that line up with the standard intel 15XX spacing. We're not going to use the existing plastic mounting method and they're easy enough to remove by rotating them to the flat spot and then prying up a bit on the tab I've indicated in the last image.

I don't have any close up images of it, but once that's done, and the stock dell cooler is removed all you need is 4 M3X16 screws with washers that are large enough to secure the holes on the cooler's arms and you're good to go. (They'll thread right into the existing backplate on the board). I went a step further (just because I had the hardware on hand) and used some spacers between the bottom of the arms and the motherboard (The spacers measured @ 3.85mm, but I would have gone a little shorter if I was going to print them off), but that's not absolutely required, just make sure you're not torqueing the screws to a point where you're going to bend the arms.

bequiet installed no window.jpg

Installed Case side on.jpg

There it is installed with the case side on and off.... The "button" tips for the tube ends is a nice touch, and makes this $50 (to the door from B&H) cooler look a lot less budget than it actually is.

Screenshot 2021-06-09 stock-Performance.png

Stock Cooler at "performance" settings in the alienware control software.

Screenshot 2021-06-09 bequiet-Performance.png

And there you have it.... 12C improvement at full load using the stock "performance" settings in the alienware control software.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter