What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell G5 worst than Walmart PC?

lowfat

Staff member
The reason I will stay away from the G5 is because the PSU, case and mobo are not standard. I like leaving my options open to make changes or to make repairs. However, I agree that at the right price I would likely reconsider.
Damn near every OEM is this way. You'll have to buy from a system integrator to get ATX standard stuff these days.

sswilson

Staff member
However, this thing has the footprint of a MATX case so why reinvent the wheel here?

But it doesn't have the footprint of a MATX case, it's a full 2" shorter than the two (small) matx cases I just did builds in, which (strangely enough) is probably directly proportional to the depth of the weird way the G5's board extends the IO into the front panel.

Again... don't get me wrong... it's a wholly legitimate position to take if somebody doesn't like the Proprietary aspects of this PC. I just feel the GN video is off base in the way he categorizes the proprietary aspects as objectively evil when it's in fact just the nature of the beast.

JD

Staff member
I just feel the GN video is off base in the way he categorizes the proprietary aspects as objectively evil when it's in fact just the nature of the beast.
Yeah, on the flipside, technology wise, I think it's really neat how these OEMs integrate things so tightly. Like how the front panel I/O is built into the motherboard for example. No silly cables to deal with. Even the most recent Mac Pro, stunning to look at inside, all the various compartments/modules.

As we saw with The Verge, the majority of people have no idea how to assemble a computer correctly and shouldn't be sticking their hands inside anyways. Dell/Lenovo/etc usually are designed so the few user-serviceable parts are easily removable (HDD/SSD, GPU) with all the wiring pre-done.

sswilson

Staff member
The bloatware is what I hate

Yep, first thing I did was remove mcaffee even before I did a full fresh install on a larger NVMe. Then there's the "support assistant" stuff as well as the "killer" network crap.

The only thing that's really needed is the alienware control + "OC" software which lets you override the crappy default fan setup(s) (Seriously.... at default the CPU fan is still only running @ 60% in the high 80s... that's not right).

lowfat

Staff member
Got the G5 today. Don't see any issues w/ it so far besides software bloat. But I'll be using Ubuntu Server in about a month so that won't matter to me. 3060Ti cooling looks pretty decent, albeit the cooler is significantly smaller than my MSI 3070.

The RGB is bright if you like that sorta thing, but I've turned mine off ASAP. Case airflow is terrible. Has mounting for a 92mm instead of the 80x20mm exhaust fan. Should be room to mount an intake fan in front of the GPU but as far as I could tell no actual mounting holes.

lowfat

Staff member
Little update. The only issue I have is definitely cooling. The case fan can do like 3000rpm but you can't control it via bios. And since I am running linux I can't control it there either. Same goes w/ the RGB, but at least I can unplug that.

Can't swap out the fan either, or it errors out on boot. I did move the stock case fan to in front of the GPU as an intake and added a 92mm at the back. But the rpm signal has to stay w/ the stock fan or it errors out.

nvme-pci-0200
Composite: +50.9°C

nvme-pci-0400
Composite: +46.9°C

pch_cometlake-virtual-0
temp1: +49.0°C

x86_pkg_temp 44.0°C

3060Ti 57°C

Can't figure out how to actually read core temps on the CPU. Those NVMe drives are just idling and have heatsinks. GPU fan @ 100%, mining, but limited to 125W.

Also it is small af. In terms of volume it is smaller than my ITX Lian Li PC-Q25B. Currently 3d printing the 3rd revision of a mod to convert the 2x2.5" cage to hold a 3.5".

Last edited:

anabioz

I did some upgrades (CPU Cooling) on my G5s, one of them is running as my firewall now - OPNSense.

NOTE: You need to take the window out if you want to install 120mm CPU Heatsink. I used plastic washers to stand up Deep Cool Gammax V2.

Rock solid man, decent temps:

1633318417381.png

1633318268756.jpeg

1633318281796.jpeg

1633318296140.jpeg

anabioz

I purchased the following, although I don't see m3 20mm anymore.

Screws - (I'd recommend 20mm to have sufficient length).

Washers:

Latest posts

Twitter