What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell G5 worst than Walmart PC?

lowfat

Staff member
got it, makes sense. I was going to suggest truenas scale (debian based).
I didn't know they had a debian based version. But I'm used to doing all stuff via CLI now. ZFS is super easy to manage via CLI.

Case is still hot. Found that a Cooler Master 120mm doesn't cause the mobo to freak out over fan RPM. So stealing sswilson's idea for the 120mm fan adapter for the back. Then I'll be throwing in an NBM 80mm 1.4A fan up front. Which will run @ full speed.

lowfat

Staff member
Remove the side window, that should generate enough circulating air :)
Not something I'm willing to do. Either way I've fixed all cooling issues.

1. Installed the Noctua NH-L12.

2. Did a quick n dirty model + 3d print of a shroud to mount a 120mm fan for exhaust. Using a Cooler Master fan that doesn't trigger a fan warning. Design took maybe 10 minutes. Besides measuring how wide the cooling vents are at the back I did no other measurements. Ended up blocking 1 USB3 port, which I would never use. And the shroud is about 5mm shorter than it should be.

3. Ditched the stock 80mm fan and installed an NMB .12A fan running @ full speed. Absolutely louder than before but not loud by any means. And case + GPU temps are about 15C lower than before.

vnq59Ar.jpeg

s5jXDOv.jpeg

erWhyv4.jpeg

bhFjZYz.jpeg

Latest posts

Twitter