What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell G5 worst than Walmart PC?

moocow

GN basically tore the Dell G5 a new one. I been seeing a few of these Dell pre-build on FB market in Vancouver area. Also didn't realize the Dell version of 1660 TI had such a bad design.

sswilson

Staff member
I commented on this video over on RFD. (Not his best work).

I stopped at somewhere around the 20 minute mark but up to that point the whole video was him complaining about the fact that the proprietary desktop he purchased is comprised of proprietary hardware thrown together in a non-standard way. Has he never used/worked on a corporate box?

He makes a big deal about the fact that the single 8GB memory stick that he ordered is a bit "bare", and mentions the 2666 speed, but glosses over the fact that the speed is a processor/chipset limitation. He then makes it a point to complain about every non-standard design/build decision.

Yes the G5 has cooling/airflow issues that need to be addressed, but everything else I saw up to the 20 minute mark reminded me of the folks in those cheezy made for TV ads when they're fake-fumbling with whatever product/function their advertised product is supposed to fix.

Yes it's proprietary hardware, but aside from the airflow issues it's actually designed fairly well and fits together great for the size of the package.

Last edited:

moocow

I stopped at somewhere around the 20 minute mark but up to that point the whole video was him complaining about the fact that the proprietary desktop is comprised of proprietary hardware thrown together in a non-standard way. Has he never used/worked on a corporate box?

That's a fair criticism. I think for his target audience (slightly above average user), his criticism of the machine is also fair. The machine is like those Chinese knock off cars, because someone made a design trendy (windowed case), they got to have it too and slap it on a Daewoo level machine. If it's a business SFF case that's use proprietary design, that's understandable. However, this thing has the footprint of a MATX case so why reinvent the wheel here? Someone must of done the math here to justify this approach (faster assembly speed vs overall design cost)?

sswilson

Staff member
That's a fair criticism. I think for his target audience (slightly above average user), his criticism of the machine is also fair. The machine is like those Chinese knock off cars, because someone made a design trendy (windowed case), they got to have it too and slap it on a Daewoo level machine. If it's a business SFF case that's use proprietary design, that's understandable. However, this thing has the footprint of a MATX case so why reinvent the wheel here? Someone must of done the math here to justify this approach (faster assembly speed vs overall design cost)?

This exactly, but like the corporate boxes its design is based on, there's also more than likely a much lower failure rate than when compared to mass produced boxes using off-the-shelf parts. These boxes are designed to be tight and every part and wire has a place where it belongs, very little is left to chance.

Coach

I was kinda interested in picking up a G5 with no vid card from one of those many people who ordered them and stripped the GPU... but now, thanks to Steve, no.

Lysrin

I was kinda interested in picking up a G5 with no vid card from one of those many people who ordered them and stripped the GPU... but now, thanks to Steve, no.
Have you been following @sswilson mod thread though using one? Doesn't seem all bad if the price is right.

P.S. I have not watched the video. Just looked at sswilson's work.

moocow

I wouldn't say it's totally a "don't touch with 10ft stick" machine. Right now people are listing a similar Dell XPS 8940 for $400 to $450. I tried to counter offer to $300 to $350 with no luck recently. However, my intended use is just to stream video to the living tv and no gaming at all. I wouldn't say Dell got better quality just because they are in the business of doing corporate machines because at the end of the day it's probably just Foxconn making the boards.

If you custom build, it's about ~$150 more for better RAM and PSU. But you get more flexibility with your parts instead of being stuck with something that couldn't be repurposed later down the road.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($210.00 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H410M-A/CSM Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory ($108.35 @ Vuugo)
Case: Rosewill FBM-X2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $519.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-19 11:49 EDT-0400

Soultribunal

Staff member
One thing to note, like corporate boxes, these are, for the most part, set it and forget it towers.
They are not designed for 3090's to get plunked inside etc etc. Or run OC'd i9's.
These are more for "Buy Tower, Hook Up Tower, Play Fortnite". They usually don't have to worry about proprietary stuff because the Market these are targeting really DGAF.
Cooling does suck on them, and that is a known quantity, something that definitely needs to be addressed. But for all his ranting, he's forgetting that (Pre MIning Craze) the majority of people who get these aren't going to be doing anything more than adding some Ram (Maybe) and an extra HDD or two. And for that, it works. No different than the Pavilion from HP, or the Entry Level Legions.

The Boards are Solid (Foxxcon, which generally speaking make good Boards) and Delta for the PSU (I believe) , and they make amazing PSU's.

-ST

Coach

I wouldn't say it's totally a "don't touch with 10ft stick" machine.

The reason I will stay away from the G5 is because the PSU, case and mobo are not standard. I like leaving my options open to make changes or to make repairs. However, I agree that at the right price I would likely reconsider.