What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell Inspiron 1501 CPU Upgrade

BALISTX

I called Dell tonight to inquire about how much it would be to upgrade the CPU on my wife's laptop. To upgrade to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-55 (1.8GHz) for $308.00 + $15.00 shipping + Taxes. :shok:

Since the warranty on my wife's laptop is soon up, I figure I'm going to look at upgrading the processor on my own.

Currently it has a AMD Turion 64 MK-36 @ 2.2GHz, I was thining about searching eBay for a used Turion 64 X2 TL-52 (1.6GHz) TL-56 (1.8GHz) or TL-60 (2.0GHz) Dual Core processor.

As well I plan on reformatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP SP3.

When the time comes to do this I will post a worklog of CPU swap.

Last edited:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I bought a while back for my lil' brother the 1501 with the TL-56. Works like a charm.

enaberif

Working on laptops isn't as difficult as people think AND it'll allow you to change out the crap thermal paste for good stuff and inspect the fans to make sure all is upto snuff.

JD

Staff member
I called Dell tonight to inquire about how much it would be to upgrade the CPU on my wife's laptop. To upgrade to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-55 (1.8GHz) for $308.00 + $15.00 shipping + Taxes. :shok:

Since the warranty on my wife's laptop is soon up, I figure I'm going to look at upgrading the processor on my own.

Currently it has a AMD Turion 64 MK-36 @ 2.2GHz, I was thining about searching eBay for a used Turion 64 X2 TL-52 (1.6GHz) TL-56 (1.8GHz) or TL-60 (2.0GHz) Dual Core processor.

As well I plan on reformatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP SP3.

When the time comes to do this I will post a worklog of CPU swap.
If you want to sell that CPU once you take it out, drop me a PM...
My brother has that laptop too I believe with a crufty Sempron.

But yeah, I think you could change it yourself.

BALISTX

Yeah I want to crack this baby open and inspect all that. The warranty should off in a couple of months. Till the then the wife said no touchy LOL

jdrom17: Is your brother's processor a S1 socket? If so, then tell ya what. If he can wait a couple of months till I do this. Just pay the shipping and the processor is yours.

JD

Staff member
Yeah I want to crack this baby open and inspect all that. The warranty should off in a couple of months. Till the then the wife said no touchy LOL

jdrom17: Is your brother's processor a S1 socket? If so, then tell ya what. If he can wait a couple of months till I do this. Just pay the shipping and the processor is yours.
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Same platform I'd think. No hurry at all, he barely uses the thing as its so damn slow. He wanted Vista on it too, silly kid.

I'll look into it and make sure though.

Oh and that's an amazing deal. :biggrin:

Prof. Dr. Silver

Working on laptops isn't as difficult as people think AND it'll allow you to change out the crap thermal paste for good stuff and inspect the fans to make sure all is upto snuff.
Actually I took my HP Pavillion apart after it stopped working and it was just a tad harder than I thought! I could NOT FOR THE LIFFE OF ME GET THE DAMN THING APART!!! LOL

So then I got a crowbar and the story got a happy ending....:clap:

Thund3rball

You can even download the service manual from Dell. Dig around in the tech support area and you'll find em. I actually had a tech come out a week or so ago and I had my service manual downloaded already luckily, because he never disassembled an XPS before and wasn't sure about removing the control panel O.O

I am probably going to swap the screen myself as well. But I am still in my 30 day return it period so I have not decided yet :\

Latest posts

Twitter