What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell Launches Alienware Area 51m - Fully Upgradable Laptop

Soultribunal

Staff member
This is been something I have long been awaiting. Not that there is any actual guarantee that there will be new Video Cards for it moving forward, it is a desktop class system that is more portable than lugging your Tower and accessories around.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/8/1...p-laptop-features-price-release-date-ces-2019

With my 17 R5 gone already (Long Story), I have my 51m on Order as of this morning.

-ST

FreeKnight

No way this is going to be upgradeable in the long term. Any of the 'upgradeable' laptops in the past died out fast. MSI had done it. Origin's EON had models that were supposed to be GPU upgradeable (Maybe around 2014-2015 IIRC) and I'd even swear there was either an OCZ or CM branded 'upgradeable laptop a few years ago.

If the last cycle of GPU development is any indicator, we could be waiting about 2 years for the 3XXX series and I just can't see them designing GPU upgrades for 2+ year old laptops by then.

It's a shame as it would be much better for consumers, but I just don't see it as anything other than selling promises that'll never come to fruition.

Bond007

Amazing in theory, but I don’t think it will go anywhere. The CPUs will be maxed out for the socket from the factory (I assume), and with a decent gpu you want want to swap it for a few years. So the only way you will be able to upgrade the gpu will be if dell sticks with basically the same connections/board that the stock one is on. And by doing that it will be low volume and $$$. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Amazing in theory, but I don’t think it will go anywhere. The CPUs will be maxed out for the socket from the factory (I assume), and with a decent gpu you want want to swap it for a few years. So the only way you will be able to upgrade the gpu will be if dell sticks with basically the same connections/board that the stock one is on. And by doing that it will be low volume and $$$. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I would love to be wrong too.
It was basically only $400 more after all was said and done than what I paid for my Original 17 R4 (I got a discount on this unit through so what you seen on the web is not what I actually paid for it).

I am hoping that the size and volume of Dell will actually make this work, at least for 1 generation.
I didn't opt for the highest end Processor nor GPU so I will have room to grow at some point.

If it works, Maybe I'll get a full 5 years out of it.

-ST

AkG

Cool find!

I hope they can make it work as throwing out a perfectly functional laptop because it is outdated... is a stupid waste. Just wish they had opted for AMD as that would have given a much higher chance of 'lasting' through a couple CPU gens. Maybe they will if it takes off. :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
Cool find!

I hope they can make it work as throwing out a perfectly functional laptop because it is outdated... is a stupid waste. Just wish they had opted for AMD as that would have given a much higher chance of 'lasting' through a couple CPU gens. Maybe they will if it takes off. :)

For the price (that I paid), it was either take a risk with something promising and new, or get something else with everything soldered on.

I took a gamble.
We'll see in a years time (my Unit is due in March) if it was worth the risk or not. I hope it was, but if not at least I can slot an i9 into it, and double the RAM for a little more longevity (and if really stuck put an Amplifier on it with whatever the newest flavor of card is).

I think 3-5 years is reasonable out of it.

-ST

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
this won't work...it's too niche. however, if they standardize the GPU design and institute it across all their gaming notebooks, they would have the #'s required to drag this out of being a niche to being mainstream and a solution that most would take advantage of. as long as it doesn't savage their regular notebook sales, as there will be less reason to buy the latest/greatest.

Soultribunal

Staff member
this won't work...it's too niche. however, if they standardize the GPU design and institute it across all their gaming notebooks, they would have the #'s required to drag this out of being a niche to being mainstream and a solution that most would take advantage of. as long as it doesn't savage their regular notebook sales, as there will be less reason to buy the latest/greatest.

Well, we don't know if it will work or not just yet Friendly. This is by and far the largest company whom is taking a stab at doing this, and because of their Volume and Global Presence, if it takes off, it might just make it this time.

It's a gamble, I know. But I'd rather support it this time , to see if we actually get somewhere.
According to my local Dell Rep, it would appear its popular enough, I am #56 of 168 from what I understood about his email this morning Re: my order.

We'll see.

-ST

Loony911

Ive testing one , they still have trottling issue/ heat problem. But the new design is perfect

Soultribunal

Staff member
What was yours equipped with?
I've yet to see a problem with mine and I put it through the Total War on Ultra grinder.

-ST

Latest posts