What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell t7400 - 8 pin problem

Hi, I have a dell precision t7400 which uses a special propietary PSU.
I wish to use my r9 290x which requires one 8 pin and one 6 pin.. however, the 8 pin connector on my PSU does not fit the 8 pin connector on my GPU!! I read it is not for gpus but rather riser boards so..

Ideas??

supaflyx3

A R9 290x will be heavily bottleneck in a T7400, you'd be better off upgrading to something newer

Would it be appropriate to move this to the power supply section or should I just make a new thread there

supaflyx3

I would advise against it. That PSU only provides 18A per 12v rail. The 290x can draw up to 25a, there's a high chance you'd blow your PSU and video card.

KaptCrunch

use at own risk due to fire, shortted hardware

I would advise against it. That PSU only provides 18A per 12v rail. The 290x can draw up to 25a, there's a high chance you'd blow your PSU and video card.
OP still hell bent to run that card on dell precision t7400

disclaimer: not responsible for fire hazard, if not protect all connections from shorts (killing hardware)

can use another PSU dedicated to the R9 with Dell PSU by the green (16) and a black (15) wire together with matching colour wire on dedicated PSU plug

Last edited:

enaberif

OP still hell bent to run that card on dell precision t7400

disclaimer: not responsible for fire hazard, if not protect all connections from shorts (killing hardware)

can use another PSU dedicated to the R9 with Dell PSU by the green (16) and a black (15) wire together with matching colour wire on dedicated PSU plug
I made such an adapter and it isn't hard but you need to definitely know your stuff.