What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell t7400 - 8 pin problem

I would advise against it. That PSU only provides 18A per 12v rail. The 290x can draw up to 25a, there's a high chance you'd blow your PSU and video card.

Ah, okay. Even though I have the 1000w variant?

I was going to use a double 6 pin to 8 pin connector as well as a double sata to 6 pin connector, with both sata connectors being on different rails.

Would that negate this issue and make this safe to do?

Edit: I have decided to use a second ,dedicated PSU that I will be jumping before I boot the computer, thanks.

Last edited:
OP still hell bent to run that card on dell precision t7400

disclaimer: not responsible for fire hazard, if not protect all connections from shorts (killing hardware)

can use another PSU dedicated to the R9 with Dell PSU by the green (16) and a black (15) wire together with matching colour wire on dedicated PSU plug
g2b7h.png

On it.

I appreciate everyones patience in dealing with my autism here I was quite hyped to be upgrading to this machine that I got for cheap
I think i can get the 6 and 8 pin connected to the gpu on seperate rails, but these CPUs still draw a lot of wats so i'm not sure.

enaberif

I appreciate everyones patience in dealing with my autism here I was quite hyped to be upgrading to this machine that I got for cheap
I think i can get the 6 and 8 pin connected to the gpu on seperate rails, but these CPUs still draw a lot of wats so i'm not sure.

Do not do this with the Dell psu

Do not do this with the Dell psu

Ok, I won't.

I am just going to roll with a dedicated PSU, since I do not know much about electronics I will just get a seperate device for jumping the other PSU and this will be my solution until i can buy a real PC one day

I won't do it... but out of curiousity, why not?

enaberif

Ok, I won't.

I am just going to roll with a dedicated PSU, since I do not know much about electronics I will just get a seperate device for jumping the other PSU and this will be my solution until i can buy a real PC one day

I won't do it... but out of curiousity, why not?

Different rail setups.

Latest posts