What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell to release 5k monitor in the near future

Tagiau

Dell is back, this time they are bringing with them a 27 inch 5k monitor. With a astounding 5120x2880 resolution, and supporting 1 billion colours. The monitor is double-ish the resolution of today's 4k/udh monitors, pixel's at least. Dell has been pretty shy with the details, granted the monitor isn't due to release till Christmas 2014(speculation at its finest), or early q1, with a price of $2,499.99. Because $2500 is so expensive. Now all of this seems perfect, we all can run this with our Nvidia GeForce 770's or whatever, right? Actually no, the monitor has 2 display port 1.2 ports, and both need to be used in order to achieve the 5k resolution(this is subject to change by time of the release), the monitor also features a mini display port allowing the monitor to be used in 4k 'mode'.This is a huge step up from what the pofessional grade monitors are at, but are we ready to go into 5k resolutions, and push every consumer, and possibly push some prosumer graphics card, Dell thinks we are ready.

Tagiau

As stunning as that monitor is going to be; good luck finding a setup that will drive that resolution for gaming...

In the way in which dell has made their other monitors(at first) I can honestly seeing it only start out as a 30hz monitor, so gaming would be impossible(unless you are weird and like 30hz). Yet it would be pointless to game at 5k, because crysis would still put everything to shame, no matter how many titans you have(or whatever your choice of stuff it.)

Arinoth

Staff member
Based upon knowledge and experiences on how much DP 1.2 bandwidth displays used I will be positing my calculations later about how many cables and the bandwidth usage once I have them crunched.

This is based on real usage data for 1920x1200, 2560x1440, and 3840x2160

MpG

Speaking as someone who loves his 30", I can't imagine packing over 3 times the pixels into a smaller area. If I need this kind of resolution, I need a lot more than 27" to display it on. For a professional, who would likely spend all day staring at it, even more so.

Latest posts