What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dell venue 8 pro - screen off without sleeping?

biggyk

Why oh why did adobe get pulled from Android :(

This all started with me trying to use the anyplace TV app on Android to watch jays games at work. Turns out robbers wants you to be a wireless subscriber even if it only using wifi. What greed.

Might just have to find a small older netbook

Last edited:

biggyk

Well I friend that might sell my his older 10" netbook, so I may take this back.

btw.. Does any know any sport streaming websites that are in html5 and not flash. Maybe I save my problem right there.

Generic User #2

honestly,

i just put the screen flat against the table. stops the light from shining at me. that is the PC equivalent of turning the monitor off. the tablet is still running obviously so your browser will continue working.

winRT apps still work fine with pushing the power button to turn off the screen if they're using the background apis like music. i think this is equivalent to tablets (the music app will run, but netflix would turn off).

Mars

Connected standby on Windows actually works pretty much the same as on phones - for apps to do anything when they screen is off they need to be hooked up to specific APIs for music/notifications/location services/whatever.

Any metro apps in Windows should still receive emails, do notifications, etc. with the screen off - the only significant difference I can see is that Metro IE doesn't do background audio for some reason, though Windows Phone IE does.

Edit: I'm curious, does turning off the screen with something like this work? I've only got an RT tablet on me, so can't test myself...http://www.redmondpie.com/turn-off-your-notebook-lcd-with-one-click/

lowfat

Staff member
Notifications actually work? You would think the stock email apps would actually do this. Neither Outlook 2013 or the Metro email client. Facebook app did, but I got sick of resigning in over and over and over.

Mars

Yeah, just tried emails with my tablet, no problems here with the screen off.

For email notifications you need to have notifications enabled for the emails you want to receive them for (by default, only emails from favorites) in the mail app and notifications enabled and appropriate settings in the PC settings notification screen.

Maybe you disabled the email notification sound under system sounds? I've always disabled windows sounds on any new install by default to get rid of the annoying folder clicky noise...

lowfat

Staff member
Thanks. I never noticed the setting before. I was always looking for something else. So when you want and said notifications looked I went and found the setting. I love how it works. Split screening the email program when you click the notification. :clap:

Latest posts

Twitter