What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Devasting error :P

shayan288

Hi folks,

I would really appreciate some help at this time as I am really PO'd with myself and my computer right now. Well this is what has been happening. For about 3 weeks I have been running the computer that is in my SIG but without a case (open air).

Yesterday I got a case (antec 1200) and I spent about 3 hours putting it all together and cable managing and I have to say I was pretty proud of my work. So I turn it on and it boots fine, I do a little happy dance, check on real temp, and I see that my temps were even better than open air and I did another happy dance.

Well after that I saw that a thing popped up saying windwos has made some changes and would you liek to restart now or restart later so I clicked restart now. So then it shuts down and when it boots up my computer starts to beep and starts to say checksum bios error no keyboard detected so I hard restarted and same thing happened, I hard restart probably like 10 times, then it works boots into windows then it shows me the same thing, then I click restart now again and when it tries to boot up again, it gives me the keyboard thing.

I then try 3 different types of keyboards in every single usb slot on the computer and it still doesnt recognize it so then I decide to unplug the computer and take out the 24 pin power the 8 pin power and yeah.

Then I do a CMOS restart with the jumper. After that I push in my bios chip a little bit in case it wasnt in enough (thats what evga told me to do last time I had a similar problem liek this and it worked) after that I plugged in all the power and stuff and made sure everything was into place. I then proceeded to turning on the computer.

All the LED's went on, the fans span everything was fine except for the fact that the gpu's fan wasnt spinning and the screen didnt go to bios. This is what happened last time and I called EVGA and they told me that my mobo's indicator thing shouldnt go directly to "FF" which it was and they told me to take out all power, cmos restart with jumper and push in bios chip, then everything worked. Now it didnt in this case! I started to panic then.

I called EVGA support and I tried everything he told me which included taking the battery out for a while and puting it back in and even taking mobo out and running it open air. And nothing would work, it would just always boot to ff right away. He then said that I have an option to rma it since i had it registered but the problem is, he said that I need receipt and I bought from a guy who bought it from a guy who jsut got it back from rma and the guy i bought it from hadnt tried the mobo yet. Well now im really sad, computerless, and desperate for help!!!:sad:

Please help HWC please help!

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Make sure your 8 pin is seated correctly. I had that problem causing a FF error 2 weeks ago. If that doesn't work, take it back out of the case, might be a shorting issue.

Edit: sorry, I see you've tried taking it out again.

krazyups

You mention taking the mobo out again and running open air; have you tried taking everything back out and running it open air, just to eliminate any shorts to the case somewhere else in the system?

-Steve

Safearus

Any detail on motherboard and/or BIOS settings? I had a PC that you couldn't use USB on boot until the O/S initialized because of a BIOS setting... just a thought

shayan288

Thanks for your replies.
No i kept my hdd's and dvd drive in so Il try taking that out. and yeah I took out all usb's, and yeah the 8 pin is seated really well.

Caldezar

Errrr... doesn't 'FF' stand for 'fully functional'? Perhaps your concentrating on this being a board problem when it's something else entirely. Try running with single sticks of RAM. And swap out multiple sticks. Also check that you RAM voltage is set correctly, should it be set to 2 instead of 1.8? When you reset the BIOS, this would have reverted to default. Also check that PSU in another PC if you can.

Here's an odd one... I also found mention on another forum of a guy that had the same issue and it turned out to be a bent pin on his CPU. Di you take the CPU off the board when you moved everything in to the case?

*EDIT* I'm adding this post I found as a resolution in another forum, although I'm not sure if it pertains to you since your CPU was working before:
"hey sorry 4 the late responce, it (evga 780i) didnt like the yorkdale processor and it wasnt fully supported on the shipped bios. so i flashed the bios all the way to po6 n its been rock solid ever since"

shayan288

yes FF does mean that but when you turn on the mobo it should go through a bunch of codes before it hits ff which mine used to do but now it just goes straight to ff and the gpu fan doesnt spin, I have tried anotehr gpu and that fan spins but it doesnt boot to bios or the opening screen. I did not take my cpu out at all during the change, but thanks for your answers.
please, MOAR HELP!!!

KaptCrunch

sound to me issues is bad bios chip for that kind of error you seen.

know another same working MB to HOT flash your bios chip to verifi if software issue

if reflash don't work then MB is toast due to hardware failure

Note: any time before reset CMOS you must have wall AC power cord removed from psu and empty caps by draining hitting start button

shayan288

well... a lot of ppl from different forums are saying that my board is fried and all that, I highly doubt it cuz I handled it with such care but I guess il jsut accept the fact. THIS truuuly sucks. Specially when this system just made me broke. Thanks for the help though guys.

Perineum

yes FF does mean that but when you turn on the mobo it should go through a bunch of codes before it hits ff which mine used to do but now it just goes straight to ff and the gpu fan doesnt spin, I have tried anotehr gpu and that fan spins but it doesnt boot to bios or the opening screen. I did not take my cpu out at all during the change, but thanks for your answers.
please, MOAR HELP!!!

The only real experience I've had troubleshooting the 7x0 series boards was this:

When plugging in a GTX 260 the fan would never spin up. When plugging in a 8800GT then the fan would spin.

The motherboard was dead.

That was really all the troubleshooting I got to do.

I have the same motherboard here, so I suppose if you want we can do the swap thing and see what we find out...? I'm over in Surrey/Delta though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter