What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D Won't Power Up

FiveNines

I have been having issues with this motherboard since I got it a couple of months ago.

Basically the problem is thus:

After a shutdown or power off it doesn't start up right away. I can hit the switch and the orange status LED will turn on but I won't get a lick of power to the rest of the board or any of the peripherals.

SPECS:
AMD X2 4600+ 939
Optimax 550W PSU
Nvidia 8600 GTS
1 SATA 320GB
1 PATA 120GB
80mm and 120mm Fans

It has worked in the past where I just left it alone for a half hour, then hit the power button and it worked, but I would prefer to have a predictable and repeatable method to fix this silly thing.

Google has come up dry unfortunately. I am going to give DFI a call and see what they have to say. UPDATE: DFI has no tech support on Friday, nice.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Having owned an Ultra-D back in the day, the first thing that jumps out at me is that they were extremely picky about what PSU you used. Do you know anybody who's got a name brand PSU you could swap in for testing?

FiveNines

Having owned an Ultra-D back in the day, the first thing that jumps out at me is that they were extremely picky about what PSU you used. Do you know anybody who's got a name brand PSU you could swap in for testing?

I briefly read something of this on my search but alas I have no one with a brand name unit for me to test.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
Sounds like the SATA cold boot issue, which for the life of me I can't remember how to fix exactly, it had something with moving the SATA drive to another port. DFI Street had good threads on the DFI boards back in the day, but they appear to be completely gone now.

Try SATA3, I just found an old thread of mine from 2005

Last edited:

FiveNines

OK I moved it to SATA3 which got it to boot, but I got a RAM POST due to a misread of the manual so it was futile and now doesn't want to boot again.

I'll be out for the afternoon so I will see if it works after another hiatus.

Cptn Vortex

Mine and a friends both had RAM slot issues. Try just using 1 stick, and if that doesnt work try moving that stick to a different stock. My server is running off one of these boards and I can only run 1 stick of ram now, any more and it wont post

FiveNines

Yeah it looks like it doesn't like my RAM, I can still have 2 sticks in at dual channel but it won't boot with more than 2GBs which is disappointing...

Oh well

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... my next question was going to be how many sticks of ram you were running. That's not always the motherboard though... could just as easily be the memory controller on the CPU that doesn't like running 4 sticks. You can try running at (2t) but that's a fairly large performance hit on the S939 platform.

KaptCrunch

this is memory issues
DFI nf4 D ultra
also what bios version using? current for what you posted is 406 you sure its a NF4

what colour of slot using the ram in ?

Note: in Genie bios set LDT voltage to half of Dram voltage

possible PSU is failing need a multi-meter to check voltages

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,040

sswilson

Staff member
Actually, if you're interested I might be able to dig up my old bootable cd of custom bios' for that board. IIRC it was 704 that a lot of folks (myself included) were running and that solved a lot of memory issues.

Latest posts