What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Diablo 3

Stukka

Why are you guys still torturing yourselves with this game?

Hell if you want a time sink, swtor is going sub or free-to-play come august first. Spend 15$ to buy the game and play the game up to 50 essentially free (sub is for raiding, doing a lot of pvp, or using the free market trader a lot, the leveling/storyline which is what is actually great in the game is in the free to play section)

I played SWTOR for a while at Launch. I just quit playing as I was too busy at the time. I told myself I wont pay for it again unless it goes free to play. Low and behold its going free to play in the fall. SWTOR is a great game and for a free to play I highly recommend it to any rpg fan.

In the mean time Ill be playing Guild Wars 2 at the end of the month. Another great free to play game. Paid subs are definitely a thing of the past imo.

JJThomp

This is also surprisingly true:

Diablo 3 Explained Using Diablo 2's Ending - YouTube

Especially if you factor in the original lead designer who left Blizzard/D3 to create Torch Light stating that for the longest time D3 was being shaped/developed as an MMO not a hack-and-slash rpg.

Its developed like WoW without all the things that makes WoW good (MMO, polish, raiding has its downsides but mire fun that running diablo)

sswilson

Staff member
It took me a while, but I finally glommed onto the second part of the "no real benefit to grind with crappy loot" issue compared to DII. The missing factor (for us folks who actually enjoy the mindless grind) from DII is the lvl 99 cap in DII. Even if you don't get a decent drop during a session, there's at least the small bit of experience you've gained towards the next level which will get you an upgrade to your stats. In DIII, because of the lvl 60 cap, if nothing drops then the only grind is for gold, and some of us absolutely refuse to use the AH for gear so gold is only usefull for repairing and crafting.

sswilson

Staff member
1.0.4 Systems Preview - Diablo III

A couple of good things in there to at least give the appearance that the devs are listening to the player base. Enrage timers and quick health restore are being removed from champion/elite packs as are the invulnerable minions.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're really onboard with improving drop quality.....

Weapon damage is the most important stat on a weapon. It can be disheartening to get a lot of weapon drops and you know before even looking at them that they have no chance of being good. To help give weapons a fighting chance, the raw damage value on all level 61 and 62 weapons will be able to roll damage that extends all the way to the top end of level 63.

Sounds wonderful, and if a person didn't already know that the problem isn't the max possible roll on an item, it's that the range is wayyyyyyyy to big. If Ilvl 63 items aren't currently rolling with high DPS, why would we think that lvl 61+ are going to do any better... the problem is RNG of a really wide possible stat.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Ironically for me I haven't even been paying attention to D3 anymore.
I cannot tell you the last time I logged in. But I am not suprised they are starting to do something, as most people I know who purchased it do not play it anymore.

-ST

JJThomp

I won't be picking this game up again. Honestly there are just fundamental design decisions that I disagree with. RNG is never good in a video game, most devs try to limit RNG to a few variables but blizzard added more by adding all the variable to all equipment.

Gone are the days of trying to grind out tal-rasha set items for your sorc, now if you find a sorc set item it is more likely to have str,dex,vit instead of int. Gone are the days of cow runs and gone are the days of people actually sitting infront of their computer to play.

I think blizzard tried to give the game longevity by making good gear extremely hard to get for the average person (also probably bolstering the RMAH) however by having no specific goal the will to play is extremely limited. Having a specific item is no longer rewarding because someone will roll a random rare or even just magical item better than it.

The game is a giant RNG machine, I might as well go play roulette.

Latest posts