What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Did i damage something if i turn off monitor by power button during load?

sew333

Hello. Just asking,thats all. I do this many times. But now i want to be sure.

So turning off monitor by only power button when pc is on , game or desktop, is this harmful, can i damage something? Thank you. I have monitor IIama Red Eagle 1080p 144hz. Gfx is Gtx 1080 Ti Founder Edition.
Monitor is plugged to card by display port cable and port.

sew333

Because somebody this:"
If you keep repeating this process chances are you'll end up actually doing some damage even if it's simply corrupting a few files so I'd stop the practice."

enaberif

Because somebody this:"
If you keep repeating this process chances are you'll end up actually doing some damage even if it's simply corrupting a few files so I'd stop the practice."

If you powered off a computer harshly yes because your killing power to a drive. A computer does not need a monitor to function nor can a monitor cause file corruption.

Think of your eyes as a monitor... if you close them do you die?

sew333

So i can turn off monitor by power button during when pc is on? ( when go to sleep )

Lysrin

Yup, no issue in a normal desktop - monitor set up.

You might want to be a bit careful if you have an all-in-on PC or Mac. In those cases turning off the "monitor" with the power button could be actually hard powering off the PC inside the monitor depending on how the power button is configured.

But for a normal separate monitor for a PC, just as enaberif says, the monitor has no connection to your files or anything else that could cause issues.

sew333

So turning off monitor by power button when pc is on , in desktop or even full load ( game ) it will be not harmul to pc components like graphic card?

sew333

I just ask because somebody said to me that this can be harmful to machine. So thats why i am asking ,thats all. So turning off monitor by power button when pc is on ( desktop or game ) it will not harm graphic card?

great_big_abyss

I just ask because somebody said to me that this can be harmful to machine. So thats why i am asking ,thats all. So turning off monitor by power button when pc is on ( desktop or game ) it will not harm graphic card?

As has been answered THREE times already:

TURNING OFF YOUR MONITOR BY THE MONITOR'S POWER BUTTON WHEN THE COMPUTER IS ON WILL HARM NOTHING, NOT EVEN YOUR GRAPHICS CARD.

Turning off your computer, however, is different. You don't want to power your computer off by pressing the power button except in cases where the computer is unresponsive. You DO risk doing damage, mostly to registry files and hard disks, by not following proper shut-down procedure.