What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

did i just my 8800gt with static?

kuziwk

so i was installing it just to see how it fits in my new case as im installing fans, and i felt a small static shock go into the card and my processor doesnt come in till next week, is it broken most likely?

Zero82z

Banned
If the discharge had a high enough voltage that you were able to feel it, then there is a possibility that you accidentally the whole thing. But the only way to know for sure would be if you actually went and tested it.

sswilson

Staff member
so i was installing it just to see how it fits in my new case as im installing fans, and i felt a small static shock go into the card and my processor doesnt come in till next week, is it broken most likely?

Most likely???

No.

Very few discrete components these days are overly sensitive to ESD (electro static discharge), and even less so once they are installed in a circuit.

It's possible, but I wouldn't worry about it until you get a chance to test it.

kuziwk

Most likely???

No.

Very few discrete components these days are overly sensitive to ESD (electro static discharge), and even less so once they are installed in a circuit.

i bought a 775 celeron to test it out as i dont have my quad yet, its all good still works.

rjbarker

Most likely???

No.

As Mr Wilson stated very unlikely.....I never use static discharge protection, other than grounding myself prior to starting to work on my Rig, Ive had a couple of static discharge incidents with no ill effects. The first time it happened I thought "uh oh"...but no worries.

_dangtx_

Banned
i say 50/50 chance if its intense. i always wear gloves. not one incident since :)

Zero82z

Banned
i say 50/50 chance if its intense. i always wear gloves. not one incident since :)
What kind of gloves? That most likely is not helping at all, and may even be counterproductive since many types of gloves are more prone to static charge buildup than your body is.

aCid888*

A bit of wire fell onto a pair of 6600GTs I was benching at the time and made the card spark and shut the rig down...they still lived.

I wouldn't worry about it. :biggrin:

Latest posts