What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Direct Canada sells used products as new

polybomber

Ok small update I essentially took my comp apart and am in the proces of installing the new board but I realized that I need some longer screws to attach a Termalright HR-05 to the north bridge. The T2R has a neat feature that allows the northbridge to be split in half so that you can put a water block or other cooler on top of the bottome half so that you don't need to take off all the heatpipes. Unfortunately it doesn't come with screws long enough to attach a thermalright HR-05 SLI chipset cooler, so I'll have to go to the hardware store tomorrow and see what I can find. I actually thought I had something like this that would work from an old water block but unfortunately its threaded rods were too thick to pass through the holes in the board. While the T2R comes with an extra clip for mounting northbridge heatsinks, The HR-05's heatpipes get in the way of the clip.

I was actually thinking of buying through NCIX originally but unfortunately despite my best efforts I couldn't get price match to update the price on a processor so I went with DC instead.

I think one thing DC should take note of was one of the reasons I've gone with them in the past besides the price was that I could reach someone on the phone. For awhile now though that has been extremely difficult. Although that should be less of an issue for people on this forum who can just PM DC Support, but for most people out there waiting 1 or 2 business days to get an answer to a simple inquiry is a long time. However I do think I should reiterate that I think the problems with my board are the fault of DFI and not DC, and I was pleased with the way Brad handled it. I just wish they had a crosshipping option as I think that would have been my first choice.

Oh ya about the clamshells they are antistatic so the bag is unneccessary. My old 680i came in one without a bag. I was just a bit put out seeing a reviewers board came with a bag. I never seem to have enough of the big anti-static bags. :biggrin:

Clunk

Hi Folks,

I just registered to clear up a few of the issues mentioned here.

The UT models come packed in a protective antistatic, clear plastic shell - they don't come in a bag.

The empty white cardboard box is packaging, nothing more and is supposed to be empty.

As for the other stuff, I agree that it looks like you've been sent a returned unit by your retailer as everything should indeed look brand new...cause it is! :D

polybomber

Well I'm quite happy with this board so far. I haven't tried overclocking yet though. Its fast and stable and works great although I did have a few issues getting things setup. First was drivers. I tried to install windows xp on a RAID 0 array of 2 disks on the ICH9R but unfortunately the sata raid floppy disk only seemed to have drivers for the JMICRON controller on it so I had to download the intel drivers and copy them onto another disk and then use those. I also forgot to unplug my flash card reader which windows decided to count first when it was doing itd drive letter assignments resulting in the drive I installed xp on as becoming p:\. So I gave up for the night went to bed and got up the next mourning only to find that the motherboard refused to boot.

Naturally I was rather upset at the thought that I had just gone through all the trouble of installing it just to have it die the day after I installed it. The LED display was stuck on 50 and the bios screen showed the DFI logo but would not get past that screen. I thought it was maybe a corrupted cmos or that the 680i had damaged my ram. I checked the manual but couldn't find out what error code 50 meant. Fortunately I found Clunk's more complete list of error codes and realized error code 50 was related to USB. After installing xp I had plugged in my card reader into my case's front USB port. It worked ok there in windows but for whatever reason during boot I can only assume due to a cable length issue the bios had trouble reading it. Plugging the card reader into a rear USB port solved the problem. So long story short I have now reinstalled xp succesfully and the board is working fine. Oh I also had a real tough time using the supplied north bridge clip to fit around my HR-05 SLI. I eventually got it to stay on though with the help of some pliers. Also I was a little disapointed that my q6600's VID was 1.32V. I was hoping for lower. :(

Here are some pictures the wiring isn't very neat yet but I was in a bit of a hurry and I still have a fan controller that adds to the wiring mess that I'm not sure I need anymore.

Clunk:

You seem fairly certain that its the retailer who sold me an open board just wondering why you think they are more likely to blame than DFI? Also do you know if the boards come with any kind of shrink wrap or factory seal sticker when they're new?

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1093copymd6.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9665/img1094copygb9.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1096er5.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1095mg2.jpg

DarKStar

As a regular customer of DC I would like to comment on this. I was assured too by DC that all products come straight from the factory, the same that supplies NCIX and many others. I have placed many orders with DC and a lot of what I received, ALSO, like you, appeared USED - this is an issue I have discussed with DC_Support. My recent order was 2 motherboards, 2 CPUs and other accessories. The motherboard boxes appeared knocked at the corner, the motherboard manual had a folded page at the corner, definately it was handled - Graphic card was in an anti-static bag that had the yellow sticker torn - and that anti-static bag was inside a bubblewrap bag that had a masking tape also torn - Even the memory box was open - the only thing I ordered from DC that was sealed was the Antec 80mm Pro fans - I've ordered 2 AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600 processors, both were sealed in the box, despite being sealed, one of them had a heatsink where the fan was loose, it was not screwed on, dust on the bottom of the HSF - There is definately poor quality control also on behalf of the manufacturers. In ALL cases I dealt with DC, my products worked flawlessly, and they are functioning 24/7 - I was offered the same by DC, to return the items - but I never did return them because they worked - I had no scratches or defectrs other than the boxes - the motherboards and components were ok. I'm wondering if these products are handled at the distributor level before reaching NCIX/DC, they do open boxes and put their damn stickers on the boards and test them, placing a QC on them - and unfortunately, depending on who they hire, sometimes said products are mishandled - I have known cases where some motherboards were poorly handled that way and the end user receives a DOA board that was probably fully functioning out of the manufacturer !
And one of the reasons why I keep dealing with DC is because of the good prices and DC_support helping people on a personal level here when there are problems and because everything I purchased from them works - I've spent over $1200 in orders this year with DC and yes I was not too happy to see products appearing to be used and opened - and I don't know whether in shipping they open boxes to place those bubble wraps - so it's possible boxes get opened but product itself is not used, I dunno, but one thing for sure, nothing has failed me yet (knocking on wood!)

oksir

Banned
ive gotten some ram sticks with figer prints on them, and they were DOA. so yea, nuff said. Quality comes at a price i guess

DarKStar

ive gotten some ram sticks with figer prints on them, and they were DOA. so yea, nuff said. Quality comes at a price i guess

This is a sort of thing I hear with other online sites as well that have stores - I'm wondering if DC's stock gets mixed with NCIX's store returns - If you've gotten RAM that appears used and is DOA, that is defiantely cause for concern although I would not understand why would NCIX purposely put back up the returned and defective stock up for sale, and same for DC. One thing for sure, the day DC sends me something that appears used AND does not work/DOA *THEY* will cover shipping both ways.

There is ONE online store and real store, I will not give the name for obvious reasons - and no they are NOT related to DC or NCIX that I know, but have "Canada" in the name ;) Someone I know has been to their store in person and has actually witnessed the staff putting back a returned, defective item BACK for sale (a motherboard in that case). Personally, from my own experience I too have witnessed similar practices in a local Future Shop here. I've had good luck so far with DC - but have had lots of DOA items purchased from Future Shop! One of them was a DVD player and it was HISSING inside like something was deep frying ! actually sizzling, yeah ! :)

sswilson

Staff member
This is a sort of thing I hear with other online sites as well that have stores - I'm wondering if DC's stock gets mixed with NCIX's store returns - If you've gotten RAM that appears used and is DOA, that is defiantely cause for concern although I would not understand why would NCIX purposely put back up the returned and defective stock up for sale, and same for DC. One thing for sure, the day DC sends me something that appears used AND does not work/DOA *THEY* will cover shipping both ways.

There is ONE online store and real store, I will not give the name for obvious reasons - and no they are NOT related to DC or NCIX that I know, but have "Canada" in the name ;) Someone I know has been to their store in person and has actually witnessed the staff putting back a returned, defective item BACK for sale (a motherboard in that case). Personally, from my own experience I too have witnessed similar practices in a local Future Shop here. I've had good luck so far with DC - but have had lots of DOA items purchased from Future Shop! One of them was a DVD player and it was HISSING inside like something was deep frying ! actually sizzling, yeah ! :)

What are the obvious reasons? I'm hoping that you want to avoid undue attention and not concerned about posting the name here thinking we would discourage it.... we have a good working relationship with NCIX, but we are not NCIX forums and thus encourage folks to talk about all available hardware sources. :)

Jon_di2

Haha thats totally a Tigerdirect thing, they put back defective junk all the time. You return something, just goes right back on the shelf, unless its 100% DOA. I remember I bought my monitor there, and they let you check for dead pixals in the store. So I checked and found several, he just put it back on the shelf and got another... still several dead pixals, oh yes that went back on the shelf too. And since they didn't have any more of those monitors I had to get a different one. I might understand trying to get away with one dead pixal but there were 4 on one and 3 on the other.

DarKStar

What are the obvious reasons? I'm hoping that you want to avoid undue attention and not concerned about posting the name here thinking we would discourage it.... we have a good working relationship with NCIX, but we are not NCIX forums and thus encourage folks to talk about all available hardware sources. :)

Well it's a store EVERYONE here I'm sure knows - and I don't know if they are related to NCIX - I personally never purchased from them, and never witnessed anything - I was told by a good source - I cannot 100% confirm this - There are very similar reviews of other people seeing the same thing, but I want to avoid any liability - unless the information is factual and I can confirm it myself, I won't post the name. I only posted Future Shop's name because I personally witnessed it myself.

The store name in question has "Canada" in its name - it has many locations, and no it's NOT DirectCAnada - it is a chain of stores and they sell online also.

DarKStar

Haha thats totally a Tigerdirect thing, they put back defective junk all the time. You return something, just goes right back on the shelf, unless its 100% DOA. I remember I bought my monitor there, and they let you check for dead pixals in the store. So I checked and found several, he just put it back on the shelf and got another... still several dead pixals, oh yes that went back on the shelf too. And since they didn't have any more of those monitors I had to get a different one. I might understand trying to get away with one dead pixal but there were 4 on one and 3 on the other.

So I guess this kind of practice is an epidemic :D

The store in question was not tigerdirect - but I avoid buying there at all cost

So the whole point in all of this is that some of DIrectCanada's problems seem to be more and more common with other online stores but the only difference is that someone at DC is there to help people, at least that - :)

Latest posts