What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Disable video on HDMI?

Maverix

Hey all,

So I recently upgraded to a 2560x1600 monitor and now I am running into a strange problem. Originally, I was using my TV as my all purpose display and routing everything through my receiver. However, now that I am running a displayport cable for video, I only want to use the HDMI from the graphics card for audio signals only, since they are the highest bit rate.
The computer thinks I am trying to run two different displays, despite only being connected to one monitor, albeit through different inputs. I am pretty certain this causes my GPU to work a little harder.
If anyone knows a way to disable video on HDMI, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, the only solution would be to run an optical/coaxial cable from my mobo to my receiver, correct?
The only possible solution I've found so far is Windows key + P, which toggles projector settings.

Thanks a lot for the help!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Your best bet is using an optical cable from your motherboard to your receiver. The receiver's DAC is probably better than the one on your GPU anyways. They're fairly inexpensive <$10.

enaberif

Your best bet is using an optical cable from your motherboard to your receiver. The receiver's DAC is probably better than the one on your GPU anyways. They're fairly inexpensive <$10.

o_O GPUs use a pass through method to put audio out to the receiver or the audio device it goes through. This is why HDMI through a GPU is so useful for HTPC.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I honestly don't think they just pass through from an external source. There is a decoder on board graphics cards today to embed sound over HDMI, just not a great one. A few years back when HDMI was just becoming available on graphics cards you had to physically run a wire from the card to your motherboard or sound card, then AMD starting embedding them in their cards and Nvidia followed suit.

It's all moot if you're passing digital content as the DAC on the receiver will control the quality of your sound, whether it comes from your GPU or elsewhere.

LHN91

The only issue is that i.e. Optical can only carry 2.0 LPCM uncompressed or compressed Surround formats, unlike HDMI which I believe can carry uncompressed LPCM surround. This can be problematic for PC games and the like that don't output in DTS or DD.

That said, to be honest I don't have a good solution for. What I've done in my own situation is to use a half-way decent sound card and output over three 3.5mm-RCA cables to the 6CH Analog input on my amp.

Maverix

Update

Win Key + P does disable the HDMI from sending a video signal, but it also prevents the audio as well.
Will keep looking into this issue as I'm fairly certain the best sound will only come from HDMI. If anyone has further suggestions, they would be much appreciated.
Thanks for all the input so far!

Last edited:

Latest posts