What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Disappearing Hard Drive

PatrickRamsey

In my custom build PC (specs below) that I built about one year ago, and have been having this problem with for the past 2 months or so. I'm having an issue with one of my HDDs disappearing at random times. None of the programs stored on it can be accessed, and it doesn't show up in File Explorer. This happens usually after the computer goes to sleep, but can be resolved by restarting my computer. I have an SSD for my OS and main programs, but I use a HDD for games, and another mass storage. This problem only happens with my game storage drive. I have gotten a warranty replacement hard drive from Western Digital to transfer all my data onto, and have tried switching the SATA port that my HDD is plugged into on my motherboard. I have also checked under the settings that the drive is not set to go to sleep at a certain time as well. Do you guys have and suggestions I could try to stop this problem? Thanks guys!

Specs:
CPU: i7-6700
Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
GPU: EVGA 970SC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (8x2)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo for OS, 2x WD Black for mass storage.
PSU: 750w 80+Gold from EVGA

sswilson

Staff member
If it only happens after sleep/hibernate my first guess would be chipset driver related. Did you install the motherboard's drivers and ensure they're updated to the most recent versions? (As opposed to just letting windows install drivers).

I've never been a big fan of Sleep/Hibernate mode(s). Too many of these kinds of issues popping up.

KaptCrunch

power connectors and data cables worst sinario dirty power for wall outlet

also what OS

MARSTG

Yes first of all why does it go to sleep? I keep my desktop on max performance profile all the time when is on and it never goes to sleep as is always doing something most of the time just downloads. Also in the performance profiles i think there is an option that says to link/unlink pcie power management to the disk subsystem or something like that and it requires a restart to change the option. Otherwise i would say flaky sata port, cable, or dying hdd. But I would just stop the whole hybernate/sleep attitude, too many issues as you can see.

subile

I have problem after wake up.My PC restart ,and also no post before restart.

subile

I am trying now fresh restart with open one by one browser,and it continue fast .It can't be that top browsers have conflicts ?!

Shadowarez

My 8tb drive did same thing for main server it was the connector it's on 24/7 so vibration was enough to loosen I bought uv blue SATA cables with lock mechanism hasnt lost drive yet.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter