What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Disconnect between Youtube and Site?

Caldezar

You know what really grinds my gears...?

I don't know if I'm missing something, but it drives me bananas that there aren't updates on the website when new HWC YouTube videos are released. We should have some kind of front page notification when new content is released on other platforms. I realize that not everything is a review, and that's what most people want to see on the front page, but even just a notification would be nice. I shouldn't have to go to YouTube and search your channel just to see if any new content is there... there should be something on the HWC website that points me there directly, or better yet... a thread that embeds the videos right on the site.

Just my 2 cents...

Groove

I noticed that as well and I'm with you on this. Glad you brought it up, maybe something fell in a crack on their side.

Bond007

I have mentioned the issue in the past as well. I end up googling something "knowing" HWC hasn't done an article/review on it, and then find a YouTube video of it by HWC. It's a pretty big disconnect. I often feel like it just has the HWC name, but is completely separate for being run.

Caldezar

I have mentioned the issue in the past as well. I end up googling something "knowing" HWC hasn't done an article/review on it, and then find a YouTube video of it by HWC. It's a pretty big disconnect. I often feel like it just has the HWC name, but is completely separate for being run.
Yeah... this is basically what happens to me on a regular basis.

I don't know what the HWC business structure looks like; but even if they have separate management for YouTube vs the site, they should still be promoted both ways. The YouTube channel has links back to the site to drive traffic... why not a news feed plugin on the site that displays the YouTube videos? Or at least a locked thread that just has the videos embedded?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I was hoping SKYMTL would wade in. Other members of staff and I made him aware of this previously, and he did hire someone to write up blurbs and post the reviews on the main site. Those seem to have slowed down, whether due to an editing backlog or lack of interest I don't know. IMHO there's been a shift in focus to video production side of the site, which is being driven by views and revenue. It's how millennials find and consume content, video related distribution like Vessel, YouTube and Twitch take precedence over the written word.

I totally agree, I wish they'd turn Youtube embedding back on and at least run a "Latest Video Review" thread if they aren't going to post it on the front page.

Caldezar

Don't embedded YouTube videos still count towards total view count? If so, it would only make sense to embed YouTube videos here to maximize viewing audience. And if not, then I'd even be ok with redirect links. We just need some way to be notified that new content is up on YouTube.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Don't embedded YouTube videos still count towards total view count? If so, it would only make sense to embed YouTube videos here to maximize viewing audience. And if not, then I'd even be ok with redirect links. We just need some way to be notified that new content is up on YouTube.
(The following is my understanding as a mod, I dont know all of the 'back room' stuff on the ownership/review side)

I too was hoping Sky would pop in before replying.

Part of the issue is the forum software we're running on. It cant use a lot of the new plugins designed for this type of thing to integrate. In addition, although they could implement SOME things there is worry that those things may break other parts of the site (for those of you that remember iTrader, this is why it died).

A new site is in the works to solve all of these issues, and the biggest holdup was porting the existing content over to the new site. Part of that was also the move off the old servers (and code) and on to Amazons services.

The mods havnt been given a status update on where its at in quite some time.

Bond007

I was hoping SKYMTL would wade in. Other members of staff and I made him aware of this previously, and he did hire someone to write up blurbs and post the reviews on the main site. Those seem to have slowed down, whether due to an editing backlog or lack of interest I don't know. IMHO there's been a shift in focus to video production side of the site, which is being driven by views and revenue. It's how millennials find and consume content, video related distribution like Vessel, YouTube and Twitch take precedence over the written word.

I totally agree, I wish they'd turn Youtube embedding back on and at least run a "Latest Video Review" thread if they aren't going to post it on the front page.
I am not against the switch to video reviews etc, as I accept that is how more people want the information, but without connecting it to the site it's a slippery slope that could/likely will lead to the decline of the website IMO.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Doesn't subscribing to HWC's YouTube channel do that? Or is that a function of being signed in to google+?

Caldezar

Doesn't subscribing to HWC's YouTube channel do that? Or is that a function of being signed in to google+?
That's Google + I think. I am subscribed, but that basically just lets me go directly to the channel from my YouTube homepage, which I already hate being signed in to. Their preference algorithms are way too aggressive. Bloody YouTube... just because I search for 'Lip Sync Battle' a couple times doesn't mean that's ALL I want to see on my damned YouTube home page!

Latest posts

Twitter