What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Disk 0 and Disk 1 in Disk Management

MorePower

Why is my Primary Disk label as Disk 1 and my Secondary Disk 0? Shouldn't it be the other way around? I noticed this is intermittent. On some startups it's labeled correctly and others it's like in the screenshot below.

My primary is attached to the SATA4 port and the secondary to SATA5 port. These are the two red ports on the side of the board (Asus P5Q Deluxe). They're hooked up to these because I find it's better for cable management.

Now I did some testes and temporally attached my primary to SATA 1 and secondary SATA2. This time after countless startups the drive label is displayed correctly. What could it be that when they are connected to SATA4 and SATA5 they swap now and then? I don't think this is serious but does anyone else have a similar issue?

I found this article below resembling my problem, but as I said before I can't replicate it when attached to SATA1 & 2 ports. So I don't know if it's a Windows problem or that's how my mobo detects the drives when attached to SATA 4 and SATA5 ports.

The disk drive numbers may not correspond as expected to the SATA channel numbers when you set up Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 on a computer that has multiple SATA disks

Attachments

• sata.jpg
    sata.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 8,208

bojangles

Don't change it if you're not having any problems. I couldn't tell you why this is happening though.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
There is no assurance of a consistent relationship between PnP enumeration and the order of the hard disks that are detected during setup. Devices are presented in the order in which they are enumerated. Therefore, the disk-assignment numbers may change between startups.

There's the explanation from MS, sounds like a bug.

Chilly

It just depends on the order the drive's are finished initialing and started. Don't worry too much about it, its not an issue.

MorePower

Thanks but that's an update for the Marvell 88SE6121 controller. I don't use that. This is for the external SATA and the Ultra DMA 133/100/66 for PATA devices.

Anyways I just plugged my drives in SATA1 and SATA2 ports and the problem went away, at least it hasn't happened yet. It must be the way SATA4 and SATA5 ports see the devices. I think SATA5 is on another channel or something.

KaptCrunch

i see that you hard same size HDD ? is setting for single or raid in bios

or is a partitioned HDD C: D: or 2 HDD's

Latest posts