What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Disk Boot Failure

Unklmo

ok, i'm stumped and not too happy right now.
turn on the pc and it starts doing a memory check, halts on not finding a ps2 mouse and gives me the disk boot failure, insert system disk message.
now after going into the bios to double check the boot priority, my hd's aren't even recognised ?!?!?! :censored: !?
no sata enabled, not recognising my 2 hd's and it was working fine yesterday.
what the hell is going on ??

Unklmo

reset the cmos and did the reboot, and nothing. threatned to persuade it with my 9 iron(it came really close!), reset and reboot it was seeing my hd's but i had to reconfig the bios again. what's up with that.
it's like someone purposely reset all the bios info to stock defaults ( no raid enabled, boot priorty was all uckfe-ed, sata controllers not enabled) even before clearing cmos. you ever hear of anything like that??
in any event, thnx Grover.
btw, that cmos chip, does it have a specific orientation to it?

sswilson

Staff member
btw, that cmos chip, does it have a specific orientation to it?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
???????

Why? Did somebody pull it out?

Do you have another HD to slave in just to see if it will recognise it?

Unklmo

Why? Did somebody pull it out?
i pulled it out to reset the cmos and was just wondering if there's a specific orientation to it.
got everything working again now, i just want to know why all the bios settings were set back to day 1 defaults. nobody touched it at all. not unless my dogs have developed opposing thumbs :thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
i pulled it out to reset the cmos and was just wondering if there's a specific orientation to it.
got everything working again now, i just want to know why all the bios settings were set back to day 1 defaults. nobody touched it at all. not unless my dogs have developed opposing thumbs :thumb:
You pulled the cmos chip out, or you pulled the two pin jumper????

Generally you wouldn't want to pull the chip out for just the question you asked.... there is a specific pin-out for bios/cmos chips and if it's working for you now, it's obviously installed the correct way.

As far as why it reset to original settings goes.... were you overclocked at the time?

It's possible that the bios didn't like one of the settings and dropped back to default to get it to post.

Glad to hear you got it back up and running.

Unklmo

It's quite possible the CMOS battery is dead. I take it the clock and date were reset too?
nah, the clock and date are still good, and i meant the two pin jumper. techie at work suggested it might have something to do with the battery. how can i check that?, or do i have to have someone else fiddle with it?
and no, i haven't oc'd. i did try the ntune app, a while back but nothing seemed to have been changed. (for the better i s'pose :whistle:)
but yeah, i'm glad not to have a really expensive paperweight beside my desk!:haha:
thnx guys

Twitter