What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DIY Gaming Keypad Worklog

lowfat

Staff member
Want something to replace my Razer Orbweaver but w/ more keys. I also find I can't really reach the top row of keys w/o picking my hand off of it.

Plan is something along these lines for key placement.

I have all parts on order.

Key switches are going to be Kailh Box Whites. They are a clicky switch, which I believe should have the lowest actuation force of any clicky switch. The rockers will use mouse micro switches. 2 switches each. I have Kailh reds on order.

Keycaps are going to be blank black PBT. Controller is a Postage Board Mini. Switches wil use Amoeba PCBs to make wiring a little bit easier. Have some SMD red LEDs ordered. Will try to make the switches hot swappable w/ some Mill Max 0305 sockets.

The EC11 rotary encoder in the top left corner is to control my amp's volume as well to switch inputs between USB and optical. It will be controlled by a second arduino, an ESP8266.

@Lysrin

Izerous

Folding Team
I had one of the early precursors to a lot of these the Nostromo N50 maybe the N51 was a long time ago now. I never found them comfortable to use and never even considered one since, as all the original problems are still there like reaching the top row (don't have overly small hands either).

I tried a newer one as well which I don't even recall the brand/model maybe a logitech with LCD can't remember.

I think what you're doing it about the only good way to make one for the exact shape of your hand with the amount of key tailored for your workload/games.

I also just really hated moving my hand back and forth to type anything, felt more cumbersome moving both hands then to just move my mouse hand less important now with improved mics.

lowfat

Staff member
I had one of the early precursors to a lot of these the Nostromo N50 maybe the N51 was a long time ago now. I never found them comfortable to use and never even considered one since, as all the original problems are still there like reaching the top row (don't have overly small hands either).

I tried a newer one as well which I don't even recall the brand/model maybe a logitech with LCD can't remember.

I think what you're doing it about the only good way to make one for the exact shape of your hand with the amount of key tailored for your workload/games.

I also just really hated moving my hand back and forth to type anything, felt more cumbersome moving both hands then to just move my mouse hand less important now with improved mics.

I've used them for like 15 years. Starting w/ a Wolf king. I still have an N51TE. Had an LG G13, but 6dof switch broke and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. Then the Orbweaver. Most of the games I play are single player and never need to move my hand from the keypad to the keyboard. Except for when I used the N51, as it simple didn't have near enough keys.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
PCBs finally came in Friday. Took over 3 weeks from USA.

Mill Max sockets installed and diodes soldered. Sockets allow for hot swap switches. I thought I could use smd leds w/ this board but seems that is a no. So no LED for me. :(.

Modeled up the switch mounts. Will do a test print on it before I continue, once the switches arrive.

1.PNG

2.PNG

lowfat

Staff member
I have a bunch of spare NK Sherbet switches now that I've moved to a smaller keyboard. So I'm going to use these. I've opened up all the switches to lube them.
export-46.jpg

After 5 takes I finally got all the switches to fit my test print. Just wanted to make sure this layout will work, which it does.

lowfat

Staff member
So unfortunately the switch PCBs would not fit. I had to rotate all the switches 90 degrees. And since that was like the first step in the model, I had to redo the entire thing.

This should be the last prototype piece for the main switch mount. Those are the blank PBT caps I'll be using.

Current state of the model. Rocker switches on the side are for home automation stuff. Thinking about making the floor of the keypad clear and mount some ARGB strips so it matches my keyboard. Still need to the hole for the USB-C connector / controller mount. And waiting on the wrist rest to model that part up.

lowfat

Staff member
Finished model
2.PNG1.PNG

3.PNG

Printed most of the parts out.
IMG_20200616_183920.jpg

MVIMG_20200616_183934.jpg

The entire part had to be on supports. So lots of sanding done and a lot more to do.
MVIMG_20200616_183946.jpg

Wanted ARGB 'underglows' like my Drop Alt keyboard. So I'll be installing 144 led/M AP102 RGBs, they'll fit in those channels.
MVIMG_20200616_190840.jpg

Then I've printed a 'clear' diffuser out of PETG. This will get a lot of sanding/paint yet. Then the base plate that holds it all together.
IMG_20200616_194211.jpg