What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DIY Gaming Keypad Worklog

lowfat

Staff member
wow you are crazy. looks great through. what games do you mostly play?
Mostly? Nothing :eek:. I play a handful of games a year. All single player, generally RPGs. Mostly just doing this as a cool project. Also my current Orbweaver is kind of a POS. It prevents my computer from turning off display / going to sleep. And Razer DRM/software sucks.

lowfat

Staff member
LEDs finally showed up not that long ago from China. Finished soldering up the PCBs today.

20200926_135529 (Large).jpg

20200926_135536 (Large).jpg

Installing the PCBs on the back of the switches.
20200926_141458 (Large).jpg

20200926_141546 (Large).jpg

20200926_141645 (Large).jpg

But then..... I somehow screwed up on my measurements. The PCBs long this edge will not fit. I even modeled the PCBs to make sure I'd get the clearance but they are 1-2mm short. :(20200926_141804 (Large).jpg

EDIT: Looking at my 3d model, the switches face the other direction. So maybe I'm not humped after all.

FreeKnight

Impressive work so far lowfat. I had considered an orbweaver years ago, but am not a big fan or Razer quality or their software. I definitely wouldn't have the know how to go this far on making my own though!

lowfat

Staff member
Switches were just installed wrong direction. Was an easy fix. However I didn't have clearances on the frame for the PCBs. Same w/ the thumb cluster. So I reprinted them yesterday.

mXFOrUk.jpg

tS0HmSK.jpg

Test fitting, may still need to extend the wrist rest a tiny bit back.
84PB9q5.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
Already thinking about going w/ a different design. :eek:

I think w/ an function modifier key I can eliminate at least 10 keys from it. This decreasing size substantially. Also remove the ARGB underglow trim lighting as this feels too tall. I can cut it down by 1cm by removing the LEDs. Thankfully from what I've learned it won't be hard to start over. Only really wasted about $25 in plastic.

lowfat

Staff member
Wanted to be productive but didn't feel like working on 3d printers at the moment. So started on rev 2 of the keypad. Think I'm finished the model. Can't print at the moment as I don't have any printers working capable of printing it.

dVKpZUG.jpg

zyrdEWZ.jpg

QvSppR9.jpg