What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DIY Mechanical Keyboards?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So after I managed to replace 8 burnout LED's in my old K95 Saturday, I've gotten the bug to do some more soldering to renew my skills a bit. One of the things I was thinking about was a custom keyboard.

So from what I can figure out, you need a case, PCB, plate, switches, keycaps and a USB cable. I've never had a small keyboard, so I was looking at 60% layouts, and the Tada68 layout just because I'm partial to my arrow keys. :biggrin:

Anybody assembled their own keyboard? Tips? Places to shop? Why are some of the keycap sets $75-90 USD?

supaflyx3

You'll also need a teensy 2.0 or similar to use as a controller. /r/mechanicalkeyboards is probably one of the best communities on the internet for this sort of thing, but there might be someone here that's gone that far down!

Lysrin

Yeah that looks more reasonable. Don't get me wrong the other process was cool and an interesting read but just way beyond my ability and discretionary time! ;)

lowfat

Staff member
The cost has always swayed me against the idea. Even if I were to 3D print a case, the PCB switches, plate, etc are going to be in Realforce territory of pricing.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, it's looking like about $150 USD for the build I think I want. That's more than I really wanted to spend. I might still buy some parts over a couple months, I haven't really made up my mind yet.

stlouis1

That actually looks like a really cool project I never would have thought of. I feel like there would be something quite satisfying about completing it. I say go for it, even if, as you say, pick up the parts bit by bit and then build it.

Vittra

If you pursue this make sure whatever PCB you end up with has the controller SMD parts pre-soldered or has a through-hole controller, otherwise you will be expanding your refresher course on soldering to include drag soldering.

Latest posts

Twitter