What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DIY Mechanical Keyboards?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Sorry, I was busy all day. I'll drag together my parts list and post it tomorrow. Lysrin, the $103 US was for the previous "kit" that came fully assembled, I'll find a link for that too. It was through a groupbuy posted on Geekhack. Plus $30 US shipping, plus I had to pay taxes when it arrived.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
First off, the original group buy 60% keyboard I found was through geekhack.org. They are doing another group buy right now, available until May 10. iGK61 hot swappable switches mechanical keyboard – Custom mechanical keyboards shop online store, group buy

If you're not into building your own keyboard, I think this is a good cheaper alternative to the Pok3r RGB. I got the Kit 1 with aluminum case and Gateron red switches. The aluminum case is quite hefty, the keyboard weighs twice what the custom one I put together does. Driver software and user manual are here: Downloads of mechanical keyboard - Custom Best RGB Backlit Programmable Mechanical Keyboard China (epathbuy is a division of PC-100, or the other way around.) I love the fact that it's hot swappable, I tried out some of my gateron browns in it to see if I'd like them before I soldered them into my custom build. Warning, the PCB and case in the IGK-61 are not compatible with other 60% boards and cases. Although I don't know why you'd want to switch out anything other than the keycaps or switches.

Custom build, I got some parts from Aliexpress and some from Ebay.

Case: Standard 60% aluminum case. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Who...atible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/32540926035.html

PCB: Satan GH60 RGB - Warning: This is not a firmware programmable keyboard. You're able to set 3 profiles and by-key colors but it's not a QMK firmware compatible or upgradeable. For that you've got to look at a Zeal60, $120 US. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Who...atible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/32540926035.html

Keycaps - I grabbed the Red/White PBT shine-through set from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/108...file-Cherry-MX-Switch-Keycap/32837258723.html

Plate and Stabilizers - I grabbed these ones from Ebay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-A...NSI-For-GH60-PCB-60-Keyboard-DIY/182793967134

Gateron Switches - from here: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10PC-3-Pin-...board-for-Gateron-RGB-Series-PLH/192434676609

If you add it up, you'll see I spent more on my custom build than the IGK-61. And to be honest, I think if I was to do it again I'd go to a TKL or 87 key build. I find myself missing my function and arrow keys sometimes.

Lysrin

Your last comment is what has had me dithering about changing keyboards for a while now. I love the SFF of what you've made there, but not sure I could get used to it for full time use. I was even pondering something small and wireless. That way I could bring it in and use it when I wanted smaller but then set it aside without dealing with extra cables. Something with removable USB connection might also work too I suppose.

Anyway, great stuff! Thanks for taking the time.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Something with removable USB connection might also work too I suppose.

All these compact and custom builds have detachable cords. Most are mini-USB like my custom and some are USB-C like the IGK61. A lot of the people that are REALLY into custom keyboards pack them into cases and carry it with them because they refuse to use anything else. I'm not that picky, I still use the same MS Comfort Curve that came with my first office PC when I started here.

Lysrin

Switching back and forth from an MS Comfort Curve to that new little custom one must be a bit of an ergonomic stresser! How are your wrists liking that?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I went to a ergonomic keyboard probably 15 years ago when I started developing soreness in my carpal areas. Back then my old job involved a lot more data entry, such as writing up orders and stuff. After a couple weeks using a curved keyboard the soreness went away and it hasn't bothered me since.

As for home, I use a soft pad under my wrist, the keyboard is shifted to the left on my desk to keep my wrist angle straight while on WASD, and I don't game for long enough periods to get sore. A 2 hour session is about the maximum I get after the kids go to bed. I really like the fact that with the 60% keyboard I'm able to move my mouse to what feels like a more natural position for me.

Edit: Chilly, I just remembered you asked for more pics of the custom from other angles. I'll try to get a couple shots up tonight for you.

Lysrin

I went to a ergonomic keyboard probably 15 years ago when I started developing soreness in my carpal areas. Back then my old job involved a lot more data entry, such as writing up orders and stuff. After a couple weeks using a curved keyboard the soreness went away and it hasn't bothered me since.

As for home, I use a soft pad under my wrist, the keyboard is shifted to the left on my desk to keep my wrist angle straight while on WASD, and I don't game for long enough periods to get sore. A 2 hour session is about the maximum I get after the kids go to bed. I really like the fact that with the 60% keyboard I'm able to move my mouse to what feels like a more natural position for me.

Edit: Chilly, I just remembered you asked for more pics of the custom from other angles. I'll try to get a couple shots up tonight for you.

That sounds very familiar :biggrin: Yeah, that is the attraction of going to something smaller for me too: more flexibility of positioning mouse, etc. and being able to fit both keyboard and mouse in between my desk joystick mounts with reasonable mouse space. It's a weird issue but a real one when in Star Citizen you are switching back and forth between sticks in flight and FPS keyboard/mouse when on foot.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Chilly, here you go. Let me know if there's any particular angles or measurements you need.

Low_3_quarter.jpg

USB_connection.jpg

Wrong_side_up.jpg