What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Do all sticks of RAM have to match?

great_big_abyss

Did you try swapping the channels and re-run the tests?
I swapped the channels, and the results are inconclusive:

24GB Ram Switched 1333Mhz

Read 19364 MB/s
Write 20562 MB/s
Copy 19348 MB/s
Latency 72.5 ns

Then I went into BIOS and fixed the memory speed to 1600Mhz. Doing that boosted the benchmark numbers back up to the 16GB 1333Mhz numbers:

24GB Ram Switched 1600Mhz

Read 23372 MB/s
Write 24280 MB/s
Copy 22 015 MB/s
Latency 67.1 ns

Seems good enough to me. I think I'm going to leave this where it's at, run the 24GB of Ram, and call it a day.

For the last 4-5 years I've been running stock clocks on this system. I guess my memory would have been downclocked to1333Mhz the entire time.

great_big_abyss

1. If you do anything that needs more than 16gb of ram, then keep it and accept the slight speed loss.

2. I suspect 16gb will be plenty. If point one doesn’t apply, then I would sell the 2x4gb to recoup a few $ and enjoy your upgrade.
I think the reason I'd rather keep the 24GB of Ram is as such:

I'd be able to sell 2x8GB for what, $40? Big Whoop. I'll put it in my step son's computer before I do that, and give him 16GB.

I'd like to be able to run Half Life: Alyx. That game has a requirement of 16GB by itself. At the same time, I want to be able to run Virtual Desktop to stream wirelessly to my Oculus Quest 2, which means my CPU will be encoding at the same time as running the game. Therefore not only will I need enough memory to comfortably play Half Life:Alyx, but I'll also need enough to stream through to my VR.

JD

Staff member
That sounds like a big ask out of a 3770k, but if you think you can pull it off, go for it!

No reason to ditch the RAM now that you've got it running at 1600MHz and likely equal performance to how it was running for the past 5 years anyhow.

great_big_abyss

That sounds like a big ask out of a 3770k, but if you think you can pull it off, go for it!

No reason to ditch the RAM now that you've got it running at 1600MHz and likely equal performance to how it was running for the past 5 years anyhow.

It's worth a shot. If I can't do it, then it's an excuse to shop for a system upgrade. Maybe gen2 Ryzen if I can find it used

Bond007

I think the reason I'd rather keep the 24GB of Ram is as such:

I'd be able to sell 2x8GB for what, $40? Big Whoop. I'll put it in my step son's computer before I do that, and give him 16GB.

I'd like to be able to run Half Life: Alyx. That game has a requirement of 16GB by itself. At the same time, I want to be able to run Virtual Desktop to stream wirelessly to my Oculus Quest 2, which means my CPU will be encoding at the same time as running the game. Therefore not only will I need enough memory to comfortably play Half Life:Alyx, but I'll also need enough to stream through to my VR.

Absolutely agree despite my other comment. If you don't have any need for the few $ right now, have another PC that could maybe use it, or just want the 24gb, then absolutely keep it!