What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

do you really need HSF on your NVMe SSD's? In short...YES!

Mr. Friendly

NVMe can heat up quickly and when they get too hot, throttle the speeds down to cool, just like a CPU.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Much like anything else we start pushing to the higher performance envelopes, active cooling solutions will soon become a mainstream thing unless tech catches up to make them cooler and more efficient.
WAY back in the day, CPU's needed tiny little fans, little heatsinks etc. Now we have massive multi-Fan Towers / AIO's etc.

These will go much the same way for a bit I think.

-ST

Mr. Friendly

Much like anything else we start pushing to the higher performance envelopes, active cooling solutions will soon become a mainstream thing unless tech catches up to make them cooler and more efficient.
WAY back in the day, CPU's needed tiny little fans, little heatsinks etc. Now we have massive multi-Fan Towers / AIO's etc.

These will go much the same way for a bit I think.

-ST
are there water blocks for NMVe SDD like there is for RAM?

Soultribunal

Staff member
are there water blocks for NMVe SDD like there is for RAM?

There are more and more aggressive cooling solutions out there now then there used to be.

-ST

Bond007

Interesting test and quite the substantial results on those drives. Obiously the impact would end up being drive/temp dependent.

That said, I seem to remember a review/test a while ago on nvme drives that determined either NAND or controller is more critical to cool (the other isn't as big of a deal)...can't remember where I read it or which was the more temp critical, but I believe the controller was the one to keep cool for performance.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Interesting test and quite the substantial results on those drives. Obiously the impact would end up being drive/temp dependent.

That said, I seem to remember a review/test a while ago on nvme drives that determined either NAND or controller is more critical to cool (the other isn't as big of a deal)...can't remember where I read it or which was the more temp critical, but I believe the controller was the one to keep cool for performance.

Going off memory it has always been the controller that throttled the drive if it got too hot. (IIRC)

-ST

Izerous

Folding Team
-I had but never used 2 water blocks for 3.5in HDDs. 2 could mount to each one but then take the space of 3 drives. The extra space was the reason i never used them
-I had and used full coverage MB block
-I always wanted and didn't need ram water blocks. Most of them are super picky about the ram they are compatible with (compatibility is HORRIBLE or installation requires removing factory heatspreaders so no thanks)
-Had a liquid cooled PSU at one point the 500ml of liquid for that was $$$$ as it was a submerged power supply

So considering all the weirdness out there already with water blocks NVMe waterblocks are not a surprise but an expectation

Mr. Friendly

I think this will become more of an issue when we move into PCIe 5.0 and higher...when things will really heat up.

Latest posts