What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

do you really need HSF on your NVMe SSD's? In short...YES!

Izerous

Folding Team
Maybe not even that (4.0 vs 5.0 etc) but some of these PCI-express adapaters...

Something like this could actually start generating a measureable amount of heat with 4 NVMe's smashed tightly together like that. Finding a quad adapter was seconds finding an 8 drive adapter too a bit more effort but it already has a heatsink/fan as part of the package.

A card like this one with swapped for a water block on top is actually starting to make a lot of sense for some applications. Not for single drives but for clusters/arrays of drives.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Maybe not even that (4.0 vs 5.0 etc) but some of these PCI-express adapaters...

Something like this could actually start generating a measureable amount of heat with 4 NVMe's smashed tightly together like that. Finding a quad adapter was seconds finding an 8 drive adapter too a bit more effort but it already has a heatsink/fan as part of the package.

A card like this one with swapped for a water block on top is actually starting to make a lot of sense for some applications. Not for single drives but for clusters/arrays of drives.
have some fans off mobo USB headers pointed at them?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
there is m.2 heatsinks with fans built in lol or can just toss a 40m noctua should help tried cooling my 905p optane with heatsink and liquid metal doesnt help controller runs hot regardless.

freeagent

I use the Thermalright ones, they are pretty good. The ones that came with my board are ok too.. but you know..

I am using this one right now..

I bought this one first though, it cools a bit better, but it is taller.. not that its a problem, I just think the other looks a bit classier.

I have two of the tall boys. But can only use one as my FC140 is a bit girthy to install on the top M.2.

Lysrin

My main NVE SSD is completely under a motherboard shroud on my Maximus X board. I guess that may be a heat sink? But the drive itself certainly doesn't get direct airflow.

I haven't notice any temp issues. Currently just using the PC normally, according to HWMonitor it is at 32 C with a max of 34 C since I turned it on this morning. But that is just a PCIE 3.0 512GB NVME drive. Nothing too fancy or fast. HP EX920 drive.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
My main NVE SSD is completely under a motherboard shroud on my Maximus X board. I guess that may be a heat sink? But the drive itself certainly doesn't get direct airflow.

I haven't notice any temp issues. Currently just using the PC normally, according to HWMonitor it is at 32 C with a max of 34 C since I turned it on this morning. But that is just a PCIE 3.0 512GB NVME drive. Nothing too fancy or fast. HP EX920 drive.
the shroud is usually supposed to be some form of heatsink. I know my tech's have started adding thin aluminum tape heatsinks to M.2 drives in laptops.

Latest posts