What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

do you think it would be good if mobo power connectors were turned 90 degrees?

Mr. Friendly

some mobo makers do it for SATA connectors...why hasn't that filtered over to the power connectors? they know we care about aesthetics and cooling that proper cable management can provide. so why isn't this a thing yet? or why haven't PSU makers provided a U shaped connector that would essentially provide the same function?

lowfat

Staff member
No. Won't buy any board that does. It just makes the requirement for larger cases. Honestly I don't even like 90 degree SATA connectors. I probably care about cable management than anyone but its a bad compromise IMHO.

lowfat

Staff member
how does it make for bigger cases?
It would depend on the case. But the motherboard tray would need to wide enough for the width of the connector and possible for the minimum horizontal bend radius. For a SATA connector, its about 30mm. For something like a 24-pin its goign to be closer to 60mm. I've had ATX cases that could not allow for for even right angle SATA. For example a Silverstone FT01BW could not. There are a lot of newer cases that it probably won't be an issue, because they are already way wider than they need to be. They remove the 5.25/3.5" front bays, but don't make the case any shorter.

Mr. Friendly

there are already cable management holes...but instead of the cable coming through and then taking an extra inch of space to pull up and fold / curl over and come back down into the connector, it (the connector) would be 90 degrees (on the mobo) and plug in almost directly. the PSU cable would barely have to come through the management hole to fit in.

JD

Staff member
could not allow for for even right angle SATA. For example a Silverstone FT01BW could not
Haha, sure it did, you just plug in all the SATA cables before mounting the motherboard, then ram it in :rolleyes: I still have my FT01BW as I don't really want to part with it, even if it's pretty bad functionally nowadays. Still a solid aluminum unibody case, hard to come by these days.

And there's a few boards with 90 degree ATX power connectors, my X570 Aorus Extreme for a recent example. I believe some of the EVGA boards did it too. For me, with my huge Cosmos II, the right angle everything on the Aorus Extreme is fine, even all the fan headers are too. However, a small case without tons of space beside the motherboard, I would definitely hate it. That being said though, most new cases now have plenty of space beside the motherboard as they've removed all the 5.25" bays.

Supergrover

I use 90deg for my ATX as well as 180 deg connectors for my GPU, one thing I love is it make pulling the ATX mobo connector a hella lot easier.

The CM ATX is crazy overpriced though, think I paid $2 for the ATX and $3 for the gpu connections from fleabay.

Mr. Friendly

that adapter is almost exactly what I'm talking about. I see no reason they can't do that on the motherboard and the PSU connector. adding something like that is just another point to fail...unlikely, but still. :p

Izerous

Folding Team
I'd rather it not built in. More connections more failure points yes but you look at some cases and a 90' plug would be a nightmare.

Edit: Honestly I was looking around and I think a couple 180 degree cable combs would tidy my cabling up really nice but I so hate taking the pins out of the ends and when every cable is the same color so much easier to mess up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter