What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

do you trust AI like Alexa,etc?

enaberif

yes, it would be awesome to be able to say 'computer' and relate instructions.

i have no IoT devices and neither my wife or I have any use/need/purpose of them. I work from home, so don't need my oven to automate itself...or to suddenly change my washing machine mid-cycle. that doesn't make anything easier, it's more distraction and complication, LoL!

You realize there is a lot more to home automation than your washer and over. And IoT does not mean automation either

So much misinformation about this area and so much tin foil propaganda is going around making people retarded.

Entz

You can disable voice ordering (a good idea imo) but yeah with hackers and old equipment who knows.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
i have no IoT devices and neither my wife or I have any use/need/purpose of them. I work from home, so don't need my oven to automate itself...or to suddenly change my washing machine mid-cycle. that doesn't make anything easier, it's more distraction and complication, LoL!

Waaaait a second here. Didnt you ask us to create a Home Automation sub-forum?

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/79000-sub-forum-home-automation.html

Why yes, yes you did. Get the pitchforks out boys!

FreeKnight

Waaaait a second here. Didnt you ask us to create a Home Automation sub-forum?

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/79000-sub-forum-home-automation.html

Why yes, yes you did. Get the pitchforks out boys!

:clap:

This forum's overdue for a good ol' fashioned angry mob. Let's git 'im boyz
20292585833_2b5df81809.jpg

Friendly couldn't help it, he saw 20 minutes go by without a new thread.
(Just teasing Friendly, don't think too much of it :D )

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

The Great Gazoo

I've got a fair amount of home automation and IoT devices at this point. I have no worries about privacy either. All my devices are on a separate VLAN - one of the main reasons I got Ubiquiti Unifi devices. All of my IoT devices are controlled by Alexa and/or Apple Homekit.

Here is my list of home products that are mostly IoT or related:
Den/Office - Alexa Echo Hub, Logitech Harmony Hub controlling Apple TV, Shaw Gateway Portal, LG TV and Logitech Z906 surround sound, Philips Hue lights/switch and some custom desk LED lights under my riser monitor.
Living Room - Another Harmony controlling the Panasonic TV, Shaw Gateway Portal, Oppo Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, Nintendo
Garage - MyQ opener with Homebridge hub so I can use Siri to open my door with my iWatch or iPhone.
Home Alarm - Honeywell Vista with Envisalink for remote arming and notifications
Security Cameras - Unifi with motion detection and notifications
Weather station - Netatmo
Various light switches, mostly in the entry of the home - Lutron Caseta and hub
Schlage smart locks and hub
Nest CO2/Smoke alarms
Ring doorbell
Honeywell thermostat with Total Connect Control
Orbit B-Hyve automated irrigation timers
Various iHome smart plugs

I've got a few more Caseta switches to install over the next few weeks. I use IFTTT to automate some things, like if the CO2 level measured by Netatmo gets too high (over 1000ppm) in my den, then my Hue lights turn red - time to open a window. The front porch lights automatically turn on when we drive up to the house (only after sunset) with geofencing. They also turn on if there is motion sensed in the driveway. Entryway lights turn on as soon as the door is unlocked. Convenient stuff like that. I like saying goodnight to Alexa and she turns off all the devices/lights in my den and locks the doors if unlocked. Easy peasy.

Next up is some air purifiers and automating the A/C in my bedroom for the summer.

SCANNERMAN

I don't trust Alexa. Never will. You know how a thing will seem too good to be true and then later one discovers that was precisely the case? I wonder what Edward Snowden thinks of Alexa.

Latest posts