What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Does 144Hz still have tearing?

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Hmm tbh adaptive sync sounds amazing and all... but does 144Hz monitors suffer from screen tearing? I'd figure with how fast the screen refreshes it shouldn't be an issue but maybe I'm wrong... just curious if the only way to eliminate screen tearing is adaptive sync or VSYNC.

If there is screen tearing at 144Hz? Does it only occur in games if the cameraspins ridiculously fast?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
144Hz without an adaptive synchronization technology like FreeSync or G-Sync will result in tearing, yes.

draemn

It's my understanding from what people have said in the past that screen tearing is a lot less noticeable when it happens @ 144hz

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I think that's a matter of perception since, depending on your framerate, there's actually MORE of a chance of tearing happening at higher refresh rates. It just happens that much quicker.

Vittra

I suspect some people attribute the improved motion clarity (blur reduction) inherent to the higher refresh rate to actually also be reduced tearing.

Footman

You will get screen tearing when ever your video card sends more FPS to the monitor than the monitors refresh rate can handle. Simply put.

With 144hz refresh rate you are less likely to get screen tearing, but it will still occur, assuming that your video card is so powerful that it is sending more than 144fps to the monitor. Anything less than 144fps will not result in screen tearing.

I have a 2560x1440 120hz screen and I have noticed far less tearing as long as I have set up the game to provide as close to 120 fps or less as possible. I don't have gsync or freesync and other methods of adaptive sync or vsync always introduce a mouse lag that I don't like or want.

I am definitely interested in 120-144hz Gsync though. This will be my next purchase.

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Hmm, thanks for the insight @SKYMTL... yeah that sounds brutal the chance of double screen tearing. Dangit, I guess my next monitor will likely be adaptive sync then hmm, it just sucks that both offer a price premium... I know AMD says there's no extra cost on their side, but obviously display manufacturers charge extra since they probably have to at least tweak their scalar some...

@Footman , Screen tearing can happen when below the monitor's refresh rate too, otherwise adaptive-vsync would have fixed that issue... but all adaptive-vsync really does is limit input lag issues when below the monitor's refresh rate... and I've gotten screen tearing at 45fps on my 60Hz monitor since the frames aren't in sync with the refresh.

So what I've learnt from this thread? If I really do want to make the jump to 2560x1440 monitor? I better save up $2k CAD and then consider my options.. but damn, I'm going to be broke at least for the next year... meh, 1920x1080 still has been good to me, but the lack of good non-shader based anti-aliasing has been quite lacking in a lot of games as of late... oh well. Such is the battle of jagged lines vs performance.

lowfat

Staff member
Ya displays definitely tear if your framerate isn't matching the displays refresh rate. Doesn't matter if it is under or over. GSYNC is the solution. It really is game changing IMO.

crazyea

If you use adaptive vsync and you drop below 60hz it drops to half refresh/30fps doesnt it? That sucks huge.

Vittra

Nvidia Adaptive Sync enables VSYNC if FPS exceeds your monitors refresh rate, and disables it as soon as it drops below.

Latest posts